Philips DSR704 Stuck question(s)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rob.williams, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rob.williams

rob.williams New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Hi all,

I just bought a DSR704 off of Craigslist. It was purported to be working. It is unmodified.

I activated it with DirecTV, and they didn't mention any issues with the access card.

When I plugged in the DVR the first time, it powered up to "Almost there. Just a few minutes more...", and made a fairly long phone call. It never got past this screen, however. It was after this first power up that I called DTV and activated the box.

I unplugged it a few times, tried resetting it from the website, and it remains on this screen. I called DTV tech support, and they had me swap cables and reset it again. Same results.

They said that being stuck on this screen was a symptom of not getting a satellite signal. Does that make sense? Reading some other posts indicate that satellite detection is a bit further down the line. My old GXCEB0T worked fine on these cables until the motherboard gave out .

I unplugged both cables, and powered on the DVR. I tried to hit the DirecTV button to bypass any satellite detection, but I never got past the "Almost there..." screen.

Any suggestions? Is the box dead?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    "Almost there..." is before the satellite information download. It sounds like the hard drive may be bad...

3. rob.williams

rob.williams New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Portland, OR
    That was the question I forgot to ask - Given this symptom, does it make sense to put a new upgrade hard drive in?

If this sounds like a drive problem, I'll put in a new drive tomorrow (instantcake).

Rob

4. rob.williams

rob.williams New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Just for completeness, it was a dying hard drive. I replaced it and everything works great.

Maxtor's test software said that the old drive was on its last legs.

Rob