1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phasing out dial-up modem service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Ted, Jun 13, 2018.

1. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    As a heads-up, we are getting ready to start phasing out support for dial-up modem access to the TiVo service. This will affect Series 2 and Series 3 devices that are not connected to broadband, as well as a small number of Series 4 users that are using the TiVo USB phone-line connector.

We are making this decision primarily because the cost of dial-up access has risen dramatically (3x price increase) and our usage has fallen to the point where the minimum costs and overhead are no longer sustainable.

We are not discontinuing support for these S2/S3/S4 devices. However, customers who want to continue to access the TiVo service will need to take steps in order to connect to the service via broadband. We will be sending different options to our customers based on the type of box they are using. We will also be making a number of special offers to customers who would like to upgrade to a newer TiVo box or who need help connecting their existing boxes via broadband.

The first phase of this project will start shortly, with TiVo disabling access to our Toll-Free access number. Local access numbers will continue to work for the next 3-4 months as we work through the details of the full phase-out, although this usage could incur long distance phone charges. I would suggest that you look into potential phone charges before choosing a local dial-up number.

For Series 2 customers who would like help in finding a compatible USB network adapter, I would recommend that you start here: https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Compatible-Network-Adapters-FAQ

Customers with Series 3 or Series 4 devices that have built-in Ethernet, there are a ton of cost-effective network bridges available via Amazon, Best Buy, etc. that will likely perform much better than a USB adapter.

jrtroo, dfreybur, slowbiscuit and 4 others like this.
  2. stile99

stile99 Active Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Heh. I remember back, the Series 1 only option was phone line (well, there were hacks, but still) and the room I had the TiVo in did not have an outlet. 100 foot phone cord FTW!

Bigg, tim1724, sakaike and 1 other person like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Tested with TiVo (in no price/performance order):
    EX7000
    DAP-1650
    WUMC710
    RE6500
    TEW-800MB
    TiVo Wireless N (AN0100)

No matter the choice, a good router is really important.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They use to supply a 50' cord with the TiVo since most people didn't have a phone jack behind their TV. They also sold those wireless modem jack things on their site that used the power lines to transmit the phone signal. (My wife still uses one of those for a little caller ID box she has in her office)

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Heh--I still have that set up for and connected to my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box, although the box has used a TiVo Wireless G adapter for many years (the phone system is a nice back-up--although I may have used it as such only 1x). :)

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    ANY wireless bridge or extender that the tivo will connect to via ethernet will work

7. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    How will this effect Directv TiVo users? Those boxes are all Series 2 and use the dialup to autherize DVR service and software uodates.

8. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    My Series 2 DirecTiVo was never hooked to a phone line and worked fine.

9. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Once the S2 DTiVo has authorized service, the phone line isn't needed, but if you ever need reauthorization you may be in trouble. Guide data comes over the satellite, and the probability of there ever being a software update for those boxes is effectively zero. The "current" THR22 doesn't need a phone line at all.

10. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    DTV boxes and TiVo boxes going through guided setup should not be affected. I believe there is also a "back door" code for using broadband adapters on DTV boxes if needed.

cwerdna, dianebrat and kpeters59 like this.
  11. chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It is very gratifying to see this type of proactive communication, not to mention the customer-friendly policies to provide accommodation for the users affected by the forthcoming discontinuation of service.

Kudos are due!:)

dlfl, cwerdna, dfreybur and 7 others like this.
  12. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification.

TiVo_Ted likes this.
  13. wizwor

wizwor Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I am not affected. I used a competing DVR in two OTA applications where no ISP was available. These DVRs get their guide data via PSIP and do not need to authenticate. Too bad TiVo could not offer similar customers a Lifetime option with a PSIP EPG and no authentication required.

14. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    I think I have an external 56K modem in a box somewhere, along with a DSL modem...:D

Anyone remember the 3-Way days when the download was 512K thru the cable and upload was thru the modem??? The beginning of high speed. Mid to late 90's I think, with Adelphia (eaten by Comcast)...:rolleyes::D

15. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Ahh, my college years. Only that one time though.

16. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    No affect to me either. Have not been on dial-up since before the turn of the century.

samccfl99 likes this.
  17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Has it just lost scale of economy or something? That's so bizarre, I would think it would be nearly free these days considering how cheap telephony in general is. There are still some modem services hanging around out there for alarm systems and faxes and stuff, but otherwise it's pretty dead. I guess the other news is that someone is still using a modem, even though they haven't been needed on S2 boxes since at least 2004(???).

I think the bigger issue is that MPEG-2 SD service on DirecTV is going away next year. It's going to be a big year for phase-outs with DirecTV MPEG-2 and Verizon CDMA both dying by the end of 2019.

tim1724 likes this.
  18. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

19. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    I assumed this had quietly gone away already.

Does TiVo still do the Teleworld infomercials in the middle of the night?

cwerdna likes this.
  20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably not. The gold star ads and other ads can appear at any time. There's a new one in the Discovery Bar right now. It seems they have a new marketing person who is trying harder.

tim1724 and PSU_Sudzi like this.