Person of Interest - S4E19 - “Search and Destroy” - 04/07/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Apr 8, 2015 #1 of 25
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was concerned that POI was spending too much time meandering in the last batch of episodes but fortunately they jumped right back into the Machine Wars arc with this episode.

This week’s number is one Sul Khan, a computer genius/visionary similar to Jobs and Gates (with a splash of John McAfee thrown in, I think).
    Khan (no relation to “KHAAAANNNNN!) is the head of the world’s largest software security firm.

He’s been hacked and has had everything leaked, from personal emails, financial statements, to nude pictures of his wife.

Obviously, it’s up to Team Machine to find out what’s really going and while the usual suspects are looked at (business rival, wife, best friend), it’s fairly easy to deduce that Samaritan is behind it.

You’d think that Samaritan’s motive would be to eliminate potential rival A.I.s or people who are too close to discover the truth about it, but this time it’s a little different.
    Samaritan has been using Khan’s company and resources to search for the Machine.

It’s actually a fairly clever motive but the issue is that Khan is smart enough to realize what’s going on and he wants to know that what he suspects is true, an A.I. has targeted him.

It actually makes sense for Khan to be this way and to eschew Team Machine’s help since they aren’t going to tell him the whole truth (Nice mentions of Simon and Claire there).

Unfortunately, the price paid by Khan for finding out the truth was getting shot to death by Greer.

While it’s nice to see Zoe Morgan again (and we may see more of her now that the 100 has wrapped for the season), she really didn’t have much to do in this episode other than to point out that John’s falling for Iris.
    (Ok, she did provide ears in the board meeting.)

While I raised an eyebrow at Root being able to go toe to toe with Martine there, I’ll allow it with the explanation that anger is a great motivator.
    I also agree with Root that I liked Martine better as a blonde.
    (And was Martine showing some discontent with Greer there?)

I also liked the scene with Reese trying to convince Finch to learn how to shoot. Reese does believe that he will someday die doing this job and he wants to make sure that Finch is safe.
    I like that they remind us that Reese and Finch are truly friends and care about each other.

(But really John, calling “Shotgun” while holding a shotgun?)

And what about that case Root stole? It’s not the faberge egg they want but the case itself?
    Hmmmmmm.

What about the biochip Khan was working on?

Also there was a line from Greer about how the Machine wasn’t on a network.

2. Apr 8, 2015 #2 of 25
    Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I thought it was something inside the egg.

John had a stack of one liners this episode. Shotgun was one but now I'm blanking at the others.

3. Apr 9, 2015 #3 of 25
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I thought so too, but then she didn't go look to see if anything came out (and also, it probably would have made more sense to break it on a table rather than throw it across the room if that were the case). It's definitely the case itself that was the objective.

4. Apr 9, 2015 #4 of 25
    verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Good recap.

LOL on KHAAAAN.

I *DO* understand why the writers couldn't do it, but come on, Reese should've put a bullet in Martine's head right there and then.

I also thought it was pretty clever what Samaritan was trying to accomplish with the anti-virus.

Didn't Greer say that the machine wasn't in any "networked device"? Did the machine set up a brand new undetectable network? Or did it learn to disguise its code?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. Apr 9, 2015 #5 of 25
    Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    It might not be something inside the egg but I'm not convinced it was the case. Then there'd be no need to destroy the egg.

6. Apr 9, 2015 #6 of 25
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    But the camera focus was on the case when Root put it on the shelf.

7. Apr 9, 2015 #7 of 25
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I appreciate your recaps--thanks.

I don't remember--is Martine just an actual woman? Not a superhero of any kind?

"Shotgun" was hilarious. :D

8. Apr 9, 2015 #8 of 25
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Just a highly trained agent.

Are there *any* superheroes on this show?

9. Apr 9, 2015 #9 of 25
    Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Fair enough.
    She acts somewhat robotic. But I guess root does too, when the machine is taking to her.

10. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    I think Root's implant puts her in the "beyond human" category.

11. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Martine was much hotter as a blond.

12. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Greer said, "Unfortunately, it determined it's not on any network devices in the world."

I remember, "in the world," caught my attention. Red herring? I am envisioning and episode of PoI similar in cheesiness to Moonraker, one of my favorite Bond movies when I was a kid, right up there with Thunderball.

13. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Beginning to look as though Pi is a favourite number.

Previous episode 2πR (also with action in Riker)
    314 the combination of the case - which made Root smile.

(Pi Person of Interest)

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I usually refer to my implant as a Bionic Ear. It sounds cooler than super hearing aid.

But now I'm going to be "beyond human". Even better! Although sadly the only time "she" talks to me is when my wife is yelling at me.

15. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    If it is not connected to a god-like AI, it doesn't count. :p

16. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Absolutely.
    Almost worth getting shot by her in a bar in Budapest, of course after having sampled their entire selection of fine single malt beverages.

what I loved about the season's opener is that I watched it a week after having been there in Budapest on a river cruise looking at the exact same gorgeous lit up city. No hot blonde though. I swear! (in case wife reads this)

17. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Finally got around to watching this episode. I like the myth arc focus but everytime I saw Aasif onscreen, I kept thinking of TDS so that really pulled me out of the episode.

I also thought John should have just shot Martine but I knew they would never do that. That would be too pedestrian. If Martine is going to die, they need a much bigger buildup in the episode.

Of course, the fight between Martine and Root was laughable. They really need to work on better fight choreography.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    John has gone through a big transition and he no longer kills anyone unless there's no alternative to save himself or someone else (and I don't remember the show putting him in that position for a long, long time). He always shoots the leg or similar. Killing Martine in cold blood would be completely out of character. For him to kill her there would have to be some kind of immediate triggering event (yes, Shaw, but that was a while ago and they don't even know if Shaw is really dead).

Now, Root could kill her. But not John.

19. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    This episode did have a little John Connor/Terminator feel to the plot......:up::up:

20. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    But there is a war going on. Martine is not an innocent bystander or a no-name red-shirted henchman. She is a pretty big part of Samaritan's army.

I think that killing Martine would go a long way in saving himself and the rest of Team Machine.

But like I said, I understand why the writers couldn't do it.