Person of Interest - S3E23 - "Deus Ex Machina" - 5/13/2014

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, May 14, 2014.

1. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Ok, I have to make the obligatory comment as to how I still don't understand why this show doesn't get more buzz, especially here.

I pity those that view this show as "just another CBS procedural".

I find Person of Interest extremely relevant these days due to things like the Snowden leaks and the knowledge that the Government is spying on us.

The show has often danced around the implications of the power of the Machine's surveillance and analytical abilities but if you think about it, it is very scary.
    We've been accepting of Finch and Reese's use of the power (and their other violations of privacy) because they are doing good, saving lives, and are heroes.

But what if someone like Elias got his hands on this type of power?

POI hasn't gone quite that far but the debate raging in the last couple of episodes makes some valid points.

I've been waiting since day one for the producers to title an episode "Deus Ex Machina" and am glad they held onto it for such an important episode.

That said, Finch and company went out on a real humdinger of a downer last night.
    I haven't gotten such a feeling of depression from the show since the death of Carter.

I knew that Greer was manipulating Vigilance (and Collier) and said so in the last episode thread but I didn't think that he was actually responsible for it's genesis.

I have always liked how POI has built it's characters to be more than just cardboard cutouts.
    This episode's key example was Hersh.

Sure, like CONTROL, he's ostensibly been a "bad guy", trying to kill both Reese and Shaw.

And yet he willing risks his life here to save those innocents in the "courtroom".

No doubt, that's how he's viewed his whole job and if he has to break a few eggs in the process, too bad.

Greer is another example. He thinks that the world would be a better place if it was run not by him, but a machine.
    Of course, I don't think he's considered what happens if Samaritan, labels him as a "deviant".

Best exchange was:
    Finch: "Why would you ever choose a career where this is an occupational hazard?"
    Reese: "Well, I tried to quit. But some jackass told me I needed a purpose."

So what's the team's next move with them "just surviving"?

2. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    yeah, great show, great episode

I agree it was a downer
    I thought Root had installed viruses on the 7 servers to infect Samaritan,
    was kinda of a let down and bummer to see The Machine and Root knew they were already defeated the previous episode

I thought the best line was Hersh's response to Shaw after he shot the Vigilance guys and Shaw made the remark about not being able to question them now

But I also liked the response and speech during the trial of the lady that played Control

interesting thought about the possibility of Samaritan seeing Greer as a deviant

3. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Outstanding season ending.
    Wonder what Samaritan has in mind?

I'm assuming that the AIs don't track dogs.

4. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
  5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Darn, I actually wished that the "trial" (by the terrorists, and yes, I call them that) was really visible to all. The show already basically did a pivot in this season.. and it would be interesting to see how they could do a pivot with everyone knowing about it.

6. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    The show is incredible... what an amazing season and finale! I'm so glad that I gave it a second and a third chance after giving up on it twice.

7. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm going to have to re-watch the finale. Did Fusco survive?

8. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I believe so. I remember seeing him in a scene in the montage where Samaritan was identifying people on the streets and other people were shooting them. Fusco was in a scene in the Police Station where someone Samaritan identified was getting shot.

9. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Outstanding. Depressing, but outstanding. Can't wait to see where they take this next.

10. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    You mean somebody like Decima? :D

Great season finale. Looking forward to how they'll defeat Samaritan.

11. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    My only complaint was I could not tell who was who during all the shooting. Maybe the good guys could have white stocking caps instead of black. ;) I actually did not hate Hersch in this one, loved his character.

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    What if Samaritan decides that old man Decima is an "undesirable"? :eek:

I predict it becomes The Machine vs Samaritan and 'she' ends it by destroying both AIs. Seems like a semi-happy ending, but then we get a Finch voice over saying, "It's only a matter of time before someone else builds another AI"

13. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    + 1

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm just glad Collier lived only long enough to find out what a dupe he was.

15. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I had sympathy for him for what happened to his brother but he turned into worse than what he was fighting against. I don't like un-warranted government surveillance but I like summary execution by self anointed self satisfied vigilantes even less.

16. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Yeah, his character was a bit over the top but since it was so over the top, once they started showing the flashbacks on how he was recruited, a false flag operation seemed likely.

I liked most of the episode. It even made Control and Hersch sympathetic. But I wasn't nuts about the ending. I kinda wanted a cliff hanger. This felt more like an ending for a reboot.

17. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    You're right about the reboot but looking back at last season's ending POI went from primarily a procedural rescue of the week with occasional CIA flashbacks of John's career into Machine territory as we wondered who had control over Finch's Machine and what new and different paths the rebooted Machine would take.

18. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    No due process in this show, they are all vigilantes. And the elected ones are not better than the unelected.

19. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    In an earlier episode I thought it was out of character for Control to truly shut down Northern Lights.

Perhaps in the reboot she is going to give some assistance to Finch & co.

20. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Liked it a lot, however the ending kind of had me wondering how on earth they're going to get the group back together. They've gone separate ways with new identities.