Perry Mason (HBO) season thread **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jun 23, 2020.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I hope it gets better.

I was a significant way into the premiere before I realized that Matthew Rhys was Perry Mason. The original Perry Mason show was something old people watched when I was a kid. I knew it was a courtroom drama and that he was a brilliant lawyer but that was about it since I had never watched an episode or if I had, can't remember doing so. Based on that knowledge, I was shocked that this Perry Mason is a down and out, shady private detective with little scruples. I know the series is based on books so maybe that's how he started out. Either way, Matthew Rhys doesn't strike me as suited for the character. But that's after one episode. Maybe he'll grow on me.

aaronwt likes this.
  2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    So in this version Perry Mason isn't even a lawyer? That's so bizarre. Why even bother calling the series "Perry Mason"? It sounds like a total bait and switch to me. I was thinking about watching this because I really like both Rhys and Lithgow, but now you've given me pause.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I am old enough to have watched Raymond Burr's Perry Mason (in reruns) and this was definitely not that Perry Mason, not even remotely. I think the whole private eye angle was dreamed up for this series and is not from either the old series or Erle Stanley Gardner's books.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's not a lawyer yet. This is an origin story/prequel. It's set decades before the other series, and neither the series nor the books apparently had anything to say about Mason's younger days.

dianebrat and gweempose like this.
  5. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    The only thing Perry Mason about this is the title. I'll have to re-watch since I fell asleep during the first attempt (not a good sign).

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    By the way, this is labelled as a mini-series, so maybe it ends with him deciding to become a lawyer..?

7. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, yes and no. It does introduce Della Street and Paul Drake (next episode, I guess). But it really does start of SLOW. Moody & atmospheric are fine, but they need to keep it interesting.

8. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I noticed there is some very enthusiastic sex portrayed. Or workmanlike, I can't decide which.

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    With my girl Camila from Queen of the South! I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's a prequel in a time/setting that has not yet been explored in either the early movies, book, or TV series, so they can go in any direction they want as long as they hit the end where it then feeds into the story we know. Think of it as Star Trek Discovery for lawyers :)
    We're getting to see the beginnings of what made him the lawyer we later learned to love and get to see proto-versions of Della and Paul.

I was impressed enough with the quality of it, the filming and early LA is beautifully and lovingly presented so that LA is actually a character in the story and I enjoy that.
    Since it's a wildcard I'll be viewing and judging it on its own, but so far I'm good with it, and it makes a good pairing with Hollywood over on Netflix to see a similar time frame.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  11. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I could have lived without the racial slurs but I assume that was part of that era.

12. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    I was sort of expecting young Perry Mason to be more of a gentleman. Presumably at some point he’s going to go to law school, so he must have a lot of self-discipline.

Rhys was great on Masters of Sex, but I can’t say that I am bought into him in this role. Della Street sure is attractive, and reminds me of Lizzy Caplan from Masters.

Still, it’s great to have a new weekly show. That keeps me from binging. It was funny to see the predictable HBO touches - blue golem baby, a flapping penis, sex scenes and crazy cursing. And I liked the payoff of one of those touches - the sliding out of morgue trays to have him rooting around for a necktie.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it well enough. Very Film Noir. Felt sort of like the movie Chinatown, or one of those old 1940s detective stories and Rhys' Mason could have been portrayed by Bogart if they did this in the 1940s. It was slow, I agree, and still a lot to figure out and sort out the characters.

14. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Can someone please clarify this for me. Is the bad guy who killed all of the kidnappers (and presumably kept the ransom money for himself) one of the detectives on the case? We weren't sure if it was the same actor...

LlamaLarry likes this.
  15. mooseAndSquirrel

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    It *looked* that way to me, but can't be sure.

dbranco likes this.
  16. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    ITYM "The Americans". "Masters of Sex" was Michael Sheen.

--Carlos V.

17. mooseAndSquirrel

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    oops, right! I liked Phillip in Americans, so that's good.

18. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Same guy.

LlamaLarry and dbranco like this.
  19. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I liked the atmosphere of it. I’ll keep going.

But what happened at the end? What big clue presumably did he see in the photo and did he mutter to himself? (“He likes her?”)

20. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    He said, "So you like turtles". I'm not sure whether that was a clue or just thinking.

LlamaLarry likes this.