1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periodic audio white noise

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sar840t2, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Jul 5, 2018 #1 of 12
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I am having a problem with my Roamio Pro. I am getting a periodic burst of what sounds like white noise, and no audio (other than the white noise). They are consistent, slightly more frequent than one per second. I am however getting the TiVo beeps. Video is fine. Audio is set to PCM only.

All was fine yesterday, and no changes were made today. No lightning overnight (lots of fireworks though), and the Roamio is on a UPS (with the TV plugged in to the "surge protect" outlets of the same UPS).

I have taken my soundbar out of the equation, so all I have in terms of connections is:
    TiVo -> HDMI cable -> TV​

Things I have tried:
    • Switch it to Dolby Audio - same problem
    • Replace the HDMI cable with a known good one - same problem
    • Reboot the TV and TiVo - same problem
    • Plug a sound bar directly into the optical out of the Roamio - same problem (this tells me the fault is common between the HDMI and optical outputs, therefore somewhere inside the Roamio)
    • Use a different HDMI input on the TV - same problem
    • Plugged another device (Amazon Fire Stick) into the same HDMI input on the TV - works fine
    The only thing left to try (I think) is to bring in the other TiVo (Premiere XL) and hook it up with the same cables the Roamio was using. I'll try that later (as it may end up being my long-term "fix").

I don't think there are any other audio outlets on the back of the Roamio for me to try, are there?

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a chance it's the cable card (this feels really unlikely)?

Any suggestions on other things to try, before I call TiVo and try to figure out if the 3-year extended warranty (I rarely buy these) is actually usable?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

2. Jul 5, 2018 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have the right cable, you could try to see if the A/V output has the problem. It is always PCM, where the optical can be DD. I guess you have the same issue on all content and sources? I would not blame the cable card. Most HDMI handshaking takes way longer than one second. More guesses if I think of any.

3. Jul 5, 2018 #3 of 12
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Thanks. I didn't spot the old composite connectors on the back, so I had forgotten about them. Unfortunately I trashed all my RCA cables a few years ago.

4. Jul 5, 2018 #4 of 12
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. Jul 5, 2018 #5 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have had the loud noise come up suddenly, then no remote sounds while navigating the menus.

You can restart, but it can take 3 minutes and if you have something recording, it will be interrupted with 2 recording entries.

The easier way is to put it into standby, and just wait until the screen blacks out (or else it will not work), press Tivo button to wake it back up.

6. Jul 5, 2018 #6 of 12
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just thought of something. In Diagnostics you could watch the signal, SNR and signal lock on the offending tuner. Those are all real time numbers.

7. Jul 5, 2018 #7 of 12
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    It was actually not very loud (I have heard what I think you are describing but only very occasionally). It was at about "normal" level (i.e. similar to what the dialog/music would be for the same volume setting). And repetitive (every second-ish) and never-ending.

That said (some of you may have noticed my use of the past tense above) - I just retried it prior to shutting it down to swap TiVos, and the noise has gone away and the audio is back. It's all back to normal operation without me doing anything in the intervening hour or two.

Maybe some component is dying, or maybe it was some guy in the street beaming signals at my TiVo.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

8. Jul 5, 2018 #8 of 12
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Thanks, I'll check that if it happens again.

9. Jul 5, 2018 #9 of 12
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Tivo software and not any hardware, equipment is the cause and there is not much you can do.

10. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    For the loud noise that you described? Or have you also had happen what I am describing (repetitive sound in place of the usual sound)? Because what I am describing has never happened on either of my TiVos before, and I don't recall anyone else reporting it here (although I certainly could have missed it).

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only with the Roamio, and not earlier models. It happens since perhaps v20.7.x.

12. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Interesting, thanks.

I'm surprised I didn't run into this before this morning. So far the only fix seems to be "wait". If it happens again I'll focus more on switching tuners and channels rather than swapping out all my cables and components trying to narrow it down - that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back, thanks to TiVo :grin: