Pennyworth on EPIX. Anyone? (No spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jon J, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    The story of Alfred Pennyworth, a former special-forces officer living in London and working for Bruce Wayne's father.

Anyone but me enjoying this?

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched the first 2 episodes. I thought the first was really interesting, found the second one kind of boring. I have 3&4 sitting on my watchlist, but we had a month preview of Epix on DirecTV and I probably won't keep it, I'm not sure if I'll watch them. If I was keeping Epix, I'd watch. Considering that this is in the same universe as Gotham (the Fox TV show) which I liked, I would watch this through to see all the connections between the Waynes and Alfred.

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Got them pilling up, so many shows but I want to watch this

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've seen the first 3 episodes. Really enjoying it...

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I want to check this out, but it seems like they're milking the Batman mythos to death. Since when did Alfred become such a badass? They took his character in Gotham and completely changed him from a mild mannered butler to some kind of back street warrior.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's been the comic book version for a long time now. Young super-soldier/spy turned actor who eventually becomes a (relatively) mild-mannered butler.

Not quite since the beginning, but almost.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I stopped reading comics back in the 70's when I decided my collection was just too big. I had so many books that my entire bedroom wall was stacked almost floor to ceiling along the entire wall with comics in plastic bags and large boxes. I sold most of them to a dealer in my area. I haven't followed any of the story lines since then. I was mostly a Marvel fan so the DCU was basically foreign to me except for the early days when I had all of the early titles from the 60's. I did collect the Jack Kirby books when he jumped ship from Marvel to DC, but that's about it. The early DC stories were pretty bland and the art was just too sterile, at least with Batman and Superman in particular. They had none of the pizazz that the Marvel books had with but a few exceptions. Neal Adams and Joe Kubert come to mind as well as Bernie Wrightson and a few others. I could always relate to the Marvel characters. I could never do that with DC, at least not back then.

8. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    We watched the first episode last night and loved it. I'm looking forward to more.

9. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Liked it at first, but it's losing me.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I got bored pretty fast..toughed it out for four, but finally gave up.

I don't think it's bonkers enough to be a Batman prequel, but it's too bonkers to be a stand-alone spy story.

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm enjoying it.

12. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Grabbed 10 eps during the free EPIX weekend. Watched two and sticking with it so far. But this is the time of year to pick and drop things.

I'm not well versed in the world of Batman. I don't know if I would've made the connection if I hadn't read it here first.

13. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    We have three episodes left and have loved it so far.

MikeMar likes this.
  14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Nice! I'll probably get to it in a few months but glad to hear!

15. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    A little disappointed with the season finale. It was short and abrupt.

16. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Now that Comcast gave EPIX as standard to my package. I just polished off Berlin Station and now Pennyworth. I was a little bored in the middle but glad they dealt with the dad story at the end. My wife and I were wondering

if Alfred might secretly be Batman’s father

17. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Worth watching? I haven't heard a peep about it, and I'm on some facebook groups that are big into comicbook shows/movies

18. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I enjoyed it there are a few easter eggs in it. The lead does a SPOT ON voice of Michael Caine AKA Alfred from the Dark Knight series. The first season is more about spying and England than anything we might recognize but I suspect that they have a many season arc involved. Bruce Wayne's father is single and is visiting England where he meets Alfred who is a SAS war veteran to find a post war career. This is all first episode first 10 minute sort of stuff. Its done by the same guy who did Gotham on TV.

19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    OOooooo you had me at the end there :) I'll check it out

20. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Let me know what you think!

MikeMar likes this.