Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Queue, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009

Advertisements

I've been wanting to watch this show for a while but I don't have Showtime. It came out on Netflix so I started watching it this past weekend and...it just drags.

It looked like something that would have a good plot and good story, and it's got some very good actors. But I just keep waiting for it to get interesting. For it to have something that hooked me. Then I looked at the episode I was on last night and I'm 2 episodes away from being done with the first season and I was surprised. I felt like it hadn't been building to anything.

Does it get better? I saw that Netflix picked it up for S4.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I started watching a couple of years ago and then forgot about the show as time went on. I noticed it on Netflix a couple of days ago and restarted at episode five of season 1. I had forgotten a lot but then again, a lot of it was familiar. You are right, though. It does drag. I'll probably drop it again if things don't start picking up.

3. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    Where did you read this? I know there is a fan petition begging Netflix to pick it up, but I haven't seen any article mentioning an outright renewal.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not gonna happen.
    The producers/writers ended it at three on their own, and boy did they end it! And they convinced the network, not the other way around. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/pen...interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

5. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, all that says is that the network guy won't rule out a spin-off show some day. But the creator has ended the show and moved on, and the network guy said he wouldn't want to do anything without him. Looks like it's just wishful thinking...it's over, guys!

By the way, the headline of that article has absolutely nothing to do with the actual content of the article.

7. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I've wondered how this show could be profitable. Not that is was bad, but the costumes, sets, makeup and effects made it look like each episode cost millions to produce. I realize that CGI can be used for much of the large sets but even that doesn't come cheaply. Anyone know the budget for this show? It's not like Showtime has HBO money.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The status of this show is listed in my latest slide show posted in another thread. The final episode of season 3 was a good indication of the fate of the show, IMHO.