Peanut remote to control Vizio L32 LCD TV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tazzmission, Jul 29, 2005.

1. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

I know I have asked this question before, but I will ask again. I just retired my Sony SAT-T60 for an R10. I want to control the volume, and power for the Vizio TV on the TiVo peanut remote. I know none of the coeded i got from Vizio work on the TiVo remote. Is there a code or a way to make this work?

Is there another TiVo remote I could use instead of the peanut?

I don't want a universal remote control.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Probably not. The TiVo remote has a fixed set of remote codes it knows about. Too bad you retired the Sony as at least it has a learning remote. (It can't be used with the R10, though.)

3. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    The T60 was way too loud for my bedroom setup. The R10 is a lot quieter. It is a bit faster too.

4. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I may use the T60 im my spare room. I need to run cables to the room though.

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Replacing the disk and possibly the fan would quiet the T-60.

6. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Yes, I realize that. But to get a new HDD and fan it would be around $75-$100. I got the R10 and DTV gave me a $100 credit on my account. So it was free. I may swap HDD's in the T60 at a later time.

7. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a vizio plasma and was able to get volume to work on the remote, although not the power button or input select. I don't know the exact code, but I used the auto scan function of the remote and cycled through different codes until the TV reacted. Give it a try!

8. Vectr

Vectr New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Any update on the codes for the Vizio? Alternatively, what is the lowest level Harmony remote that will work on the Tivo and the Vizio? Thanks!

9. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I know that you do not want a universal remote and I wouldn't buy a universal remote myself, but how about a learning remote control that can control eight devices and has 34 keys per device, each of which can learn a command, for a total of 272 commands. It also has macro capability and when it was released six years ago, most reviewers called it the most advanced and capable learning remote control ever made for less than $60. And today the Sony RM-VL900 costs less than $40.

And the RM-VL900s are very reliable because my remotes have lasted more than six years even though they used heavily every day and they have hit the hardwood floor at least once a week from three feet up for the past six years, because of the cats and dogs. The RM-VL900 can learn from any remote including the hard to learn B&O remotes, and I have never found a remote control that it cannot learn from, including all of the TiVo remotes (Hughes and Sony), Motorola cable STB remotes, fan controls, and Leviton light controls.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't find the RM-VL900s for sales anywhere and I had thought that Sony had discontinued them, but today they are available brand new from multiple sources. I just bought two brand new RM-VL900s as spares through Amazon.com, because I really don’t know how I could live without them if they finally do have problems.

IMHO the Sony RM-VL900s are the best learning remote controls ever made.

Sony RM-VL900 Review at Remote Central:
    Sony RM-VL900 Learning Remote Control Review

Additional Edit:

I forgot one thing, it is very simple to learn other remote control commands on the RM-VL900, and in fact the latest model the RM-VL710 is not as simple. I recommend that you read the review before making a decision.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    All Harmony remotes can control the Vizio - and just about anything else. When selecting a remote, look to see if it has a button layout that meets your usage needs, including appropriate buttons for TiVo functions.

11. JRAllas

JRAllas Spoiled by Tivo

Mar 26, 2006
    Crest Hill, IL
    I haven't seen that option. How do you do it? I have a Symphonic TV/VCR in the bedroom that I have yet to find the code for. I'd like to control the Power/Volume with the DirecTV remote. Symphonic is not listed in the manufacturer list when I search for it in the Tivo Remote Control menu, although it appears the same company makes Emerson, Funai, and Sylvania. I've started trying their codes with no luck, yet.

12. DAVIDGR

DAVIDGR Enthusiastic Member!

Oct 26, 2002
    Armonk, NY...
    I have the Viwio 37" LCD and I was able to use the Tivo peanut remote to control the basic functions on the TV - power on/off, volume and mute. I could not get it to do more advanced things like switch inputs, bring up the Vizio menu or activate the sleep timer. I used the code scan feature to program the remote. But note that when using code scan there are several codes that might work. I forget how you start code scan, but when the TV shuts off that is supposed to be the code to use. In my case that didn't control the mute button. So I used the Vizio remote to turn the TV back on and continued code scanning with the peanut remote. After a few more scans I got everything working. So the lesson is to not accept the first code that may work. Keep trying all the functions until you're happy.

By the way... I'd love to know which code I chose, so I could input it directly if something happened. Is there anyway for the peanut remote to indicate which code is programmed?

13. Vectr

Vectr New Member

Jun 12, 2002
  14. imdank

imdank New Member

Mar 28, 2006

15. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Try tivo code 0128 for the Vizio.

16. TivoScraper

TivoScraper I AM A TIVO-HOLIC!!

Feb 15, 2006
    Thank you for the Vizio Code. For a moment I thought I had to take back the Vizio to Costco. I really want my Tivo remote to work...and it did! THANKS!

0128 ROCKS! :D

17. mvarnold

mvarnold New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Hi all, I'm new here and found this thread searching for a solution to a problem I have. I just bought a Vizio L32 TV for my 84 year old mother and need to replace the included complicated remote, with a much more simple one for her to use. The problem is that the simple to use universal remotes seem to not have a code listed for Vizio TV's. This thread indicated that code 0128 works for the Vizio when using a TIVO. My question is: Is 0128 the code that may work with cheap, simple universal remotes? thank you in advance for any help. Michael

18. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

Tivo remote code 0128 is the same as LG tv code 0178 in the one-for-all line of universal remotes. If your mother has Directv, you can buy a RC32BB from directv, its a big button remote that works with current dtv receivers, including Dtivos.

The RC32BB is the middle remote in photo:

Photo by tivoburkee

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. amgqmp1

amgqmp1 New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Iowa
    Just a quick post to say "Thank you!" for posting code 0128.
    I have the Vizio 37" LCD...(might buy another this week...good bang for the buck).

The little TiVo peanut remote is now controlling the volume on my TV...and that's just perfect for me. :)

20. mrmcmanus

mrmcmanus New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    This is somewhat off-topic but remote related. I know that you can program Tivo remotes with different codes so that if the units are side by side they will not interfere with each other. Is it possible to do the same with Sony tvs? I have two Sonys side by side (so I can watch two games at once) and I keep one game muted. If I want to adjust volume on one one, then the sound comes back on the other because they are both Sonys. So you practiccally have to get within a couple of feet to just control one at a time. Any fix for this?

Mary