Peacock Streaming ........

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Apr 15, 2020.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Has anyone with Xfinity and a CableCard convinced Xfinity to supply a FLEX Streamer? With TV Service all they want to hint offering is an X1 Box and that the Flex is for Internet only customer.

Peacock hasn't been released for 'other' streamers yet that I've heard. It would be good to see on all. I'd be interested in the 'ad free' for Xfinity users $4.99 to try.

***I'd guess a release to Roku and others would't happen until 'public release' of July 15 for the service.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    cwerdna and Noelmel like this.
  2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Gotta be some kind of FCC rule they are breaking. I have 3 cablecards and internet as well. I am being charged for additional outlet or the cc themselves . Should get a Flex box. Comcast has made it easy to spend and very difficult to cancel/remove services or programming.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I doubt that(rule breaking) but for CableCard users it would create an avenue for some/most of the VOD maybe and the opportunity for maybe the 'next day' ad free viewing. TiVo 'SKIP' is great but after using the CBS:All-Access and the ad free feature there's much that's good with it.

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
  5. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    You can use your own Roku streaming device to access the Xfinity Stream beta app if all you are looking for is live TV channels and/or VOD from your Comcast video subscription sources. Otherwise, it appears that you have to be an X1 service subscriber (i.e., have one of their digital devices on your account) in order to get the Peacock service during this initial limited launch period.

If you get a Flex streamer (usually one of the Xi3/5/6 series STB's), you can access Peacock on it. But the drawback for those of us using CableCARD-enabled TiVo's is that adding any of Comcast's digital devices to our account will typically result in a $9.95 p.m. "Additional Digital Outlet" charge.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    They 'hint' that X1 subscribers should get access in a few day/week roll. I actually have an XG1V4 in my package but what interested me maybe more is moving forward. When released to Roku it would make an easy 'add' to room 2. I had a friend who has only Internet from Xfinity order one and I'll see what he gets. The XG1V4 has been overall a pleasant experience. VOICE doesn't interest me because I don't speak but the rest has been an interesting experience.

I have now a XG1V4, a TiVo TCDA95000 and a Roku 4670R Ultra at the 'main' 1080P 64" plasma. At a 2nd 1080P display only a Roku 4640X Ultra and the 3TB Roamio. I've a 4K 65" display still 'in the box' from a late 2018 buy. My 1080P displays do very well.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    My friend isn't real impressed but he generally only does Netflix. He's used it very little. Peacock has come to my X1 STB and I thought a legitimate test for PQ etc might be a check on the old 4 X 3 series productions. Columbo S1 - E1 (1971) looks pretty outstanding I'd say on my 1080P plasma.

The 1968 movie Prescription: Murder is pretty outstanding also.

aaronwt and mschnebly like this.
  8. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Tivo A9500? What is that?

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Fixed it -- added a 0 (MINI VOX - TCDA95000)

The SKU on the actual device is RA9500. It looks like the SKU on all Mini are missing a 0

10. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    How will Tivo/Comcast subscribers receive Peacock if all they have is a CC (i.e. no X1 box)? Will it be available on Xfinity Stream (via Roku) like Comcast VOD? Or only a separate general-public Peacock streaming app?

cwerdna and Noelmel like this.
  11. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    The app will be available to the full public sometime in July for whatever streaming boxes Comcast decides to support.

Noelmel likes this.
  12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'd think it a legitimate question for a CableCard user with no X1 etc to ask about the Flex device. Yes the Beta does VOD etc, I'd think that now that the X1 boxes (TV Subscribers) have been activated the Flex request would be valid. Worst you get is told NO!!!

It might be a very good experience!

Noelmel likes this.
  13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I guess if you want another box to use you could. I have an Apple TV so don’t want something else.

14. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

But the Flex would make the 'Peacock' available that you likely don't have and won't have available until likely July. Correct? So for someone that 'might' be interested I'd think a reasonable ask! I'm actually looking for a ATV 4G A1625.

Noelmel likes this.
  15. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Oh yeah it does, I’m not knocking the idea, I just don’t have the desire to see what’s on it enough to get another box in the meantime. Whatever floats your boat!

16. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I actually reached out just to inquire and this seems to be the deal!!All of the devices Xfinity(Flex etc) offers require an Xfinity GATEWAY so we're all out of luck. The Xi5 and the Xi6 require an Xfinity GATEWAY also.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  17. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Is the gateway their own router? I have some kind of gigabit router from them but don't know what its called.

18. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The Flex service itself does not require a Comcast-supplied gateway, if that is what you meant to say.

Do I need an Xfinity xFi Gateway to get Flex or can I use my own modem?
    We recommend using an xFi Gateway to use features like our Xfinity xFi digital dashboard right on your TV, but you can choose to use your own modem instead.

As far as Peacock accessibility is concerned, currently it is only available to subscribers who have Flex and/or X1 devices, but that will presumably change come July when it is scheduled to launch for the general public, including non-subscribers to Comcast CTV/HSI services, who can simply take out a monthly subscription to the OTT Peacock app. But I can find no indication that a Comcast gateway is one of the requirements.

Who is eligible to get Peacock Premium with their Xfinity Subscription?
    Peacock Premium is included at no additional cost for all Xfinity Flex customers and Xfinity X1 customers who have a subscription to Xfinity Internet or Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above. Peacock Premium has a $4.99/month value.

Noelmel likes this.
  19. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The gateway is a combined cable modem and wireless router. See here for an equipment listing.

Noelmel likes this.
  20. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    They insisted an Xfinity GATEWAY - I didn't mean to and don't believe I implied Xfinity xFI newer product. There seems to be a couple additional generations. I believe the XB3 is still in many or most users homes that don't have security or advanced subscriptions. Just GATEWAY. I use a SBV3202 and my own router and he told me NO! I had seen most of what you presented before reaching out. I ain't sayin' wrong BUT I asked and I asked repetitively for confirmation.

After seeing your post and reviewing my reads if you look to older Xfinity comments going back to 4th Qtr 2019, they seem to imply 'required'!

Does xfinity flex require leased xfi modem? - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 3262538

-------------------------

I would appreciate your thoughts regarding this move. I'm going to use a quality Sewell EchoSplit 1 x 2 HDMI to do a less than 20' run through walls to my second AVR. The XR15 remote works all over my house so I will have accomplished Peacock in both rooms I'd think. BTW I did add a Darbee 5000S and I've also a 5100CIE

Last edited: May 1, 2020