PCMag Reviews the Elite: 2.5 out of 5 Stars

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sbiller, Jan 28, 2012.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399349,00.asp

Pros
    2TB hard drive with 300-hour HD recording capacity. Four tuners. THX Certified. New TiVo interface. Online content from Netflix, Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, Pandora, You Tube, and Amazon.

Cons
    Digital Cable only (requires CableCARD). Requires extra paid subscription. QWERTY remote is extra. Major cable company DVRs are better connected to tablets and smartphones.

Bottom Line
    The high-end Premiere Elite DVR has a lot to offer for TiVo fans, but the competition has surpassed TiVo on several key features, particularly support for devices like smartphones and tablets.

The TiVo Premiere Elite is an improved device for an ultimately shrinking market: the hardcore TiVo user. It will give the TiVo fan a lot to crow about while recording 300 hours of HD on four channels simultaneously, but the DVR is unlikely to add brand new customers to the TiVo fold. It's so tied to digital cable that it is unlikely to sway the non-TiVo user from renting a much more convenient and similar HD DVR for much less money. Why buy a TiVo DVR when the cable company DVR is the same amount of money or less, and lets you better manage it with your smartphone or tablet? Five years ago, TiVo had a perceptibly insurmountable lead on the competition. Now that gap is bridgeable by a toddler in brand new shoes.

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Interesting lack of comparison. Most of those are an exaggeration at best.

Requires extra paid subscription? Sure, but the cable company's cost money as well. Is it really a complaint about another bill (which is avoidable with lifetime).

QWERTY remote is extra? This one is definitely way off base, as no other device even has this as an option.

The other two are iffy as cons.

In Tivo's current position, the comment that Tivo may go in the next 25 months (payback period for lifetime) is laughable. Clearly the reviewer was out of touch with reality.

Now that said, they missed the three biggest cons that may make the 2.5 rating valid. 1. Isn't worth the premium cost. or 2. Have to give up standard cable features (VOD etc). 3. It doesn't just work out of the box (not really Tivo's fault on that one though).

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Kind of a joke review if you ask me. First they penalize TiVo based off the fact it needs a CableCARD which isn't TiVo's choice. They don't seem to know it has MoCa since they state you would need to buy a TiVo WiFi adapter if you don't have a wired connection. They don't seem to know TiVo now allows streaming since they mention issues with MRV and copy once. They mention how cable companies will allow you free exchanges for a broken DVR with no mention of the fact you also would have paid more than if you had bought a lifetime Elite.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yeah, they say cable companies have better mobile apps and somehow they have a problem with the remote that comes with TiVos? Have they ever actually used a cable company remote?

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Wow. 2.5 out of 5 stars with nothing in the review that suggests that they did anything beyond compare the specs on the box to their cable DVR and play with the iPad app.

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    The remote con is a joke. The TiVo app has a frikken remote if you don't want to pay for the hardware.

7. DrewG5

DrewG5 New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Reviewer must not have actually used the dvr. Charter offers zero apps for their DVR's that are not TiVo, the only loss over Charter's DVR here is on-demand that was painful to use do to the MOXI interface.

8. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting review. I thought it was a bit harsh but then I'm a huge TiVo fan.

Nevertheless, the reviewer made some good points. For example, why can't I watch my TiVo's content remotely on my iPad/iPhone? Right now TiVo's achilles heel seems to be software. 20.2 is the software the Premiere should have launched with, not the software we finally got 2 years later. TiVo has been resting on their laurels for too long, and the Joneses are catching up.

9. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My biggest complaint is that the TiVo's Netflix software is just awful. Seriously, of all the Netflix clients I have (PC, Mac, iPad, Xbox, Apple TV, etc), the TiVo Netflix client is the worst.

Rumor has it there's a new Netflix client coming for TiVo. It can't happen too soon. We've been waiting a year and a half for this.

VOD would be nice but it's less relevant when you have Netflix streaming.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Technically, we have been waiting something like 5+ years. The Netflix interface on the Premiere is identical the the stuff that was on the Series 3/HD. It has NEVER been upgraded.

*IF* you have netflix streaming, yes. My cable company offers lots of free VOD which I cannot access with the Premiere. Netflix requires payment, and like many other people, when they doubled the price of their plans, I dropped streaming.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Or on Android.

This is more a limitation of bandwidth and the remote hardware (i-whatever, Android) than of the Premiere. The remote hardware simply doesn't have the ability to play back high-bitrate MPEG2 or AC3. That is what the TiVo has to offer, because that is what it captures from over the air or cable. Neither the Premiere nor the remote hardware have anywhere near the necessary CPU power to attempt to transcode the original source material into something that can be displayed properly.

I would LOVE to have the feature, but it is not a realistic expectation.

12. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    My personal opinion is that Tivo's Netflix client is OK. There are better ones out there, but it allows you to sit down at it, see your queue, watch something, and search for anything that is available. Browsing and adding to the queue is the only things missing. I don't see a minor update to an extra pay service as a big Tivo seller. However, I do have many friends that when I say you have to give up a feature that you are already paying for like VOD (no matter how crappy) makes them think twice.

13. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    One more thing I thought about. Did they really just harp on the mobile app because remote delete wasn't an option? Remote delete is pretty much useless as the DVR will automatically delete things for you AND there is 300 hours of space. I find that hilarious.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's not a rumor. It is coming this spring according to TiVo.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Which cable company allows this? Some of them have a live streaming app with a few channels but you would get that if you were a TiVo user too.

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    What mobile app were they using??? I can certainly delete programs using the Android app- I can even select multiple shows quickly and then do a mass delete in one operation.

The review really is bad and unfair. The Premiere has enough legit issues without crap being made up or misrepresented.

17. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    They were saying that you had to be at home (local network) to remote delete... Which I think is true, but a relatively useless feature for the purpose they spent a paragraph explaining.

18. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Joel has been reviewing TiVo products for quite some time on PCMag.com. In addition to his current TiVo Elite review here is a summary of his other reviews. My conclusion that the cost of the Elite is the single biggest factor in his score. Rating the Slide Remote which IMHO is the best qwerty remote on the planet, 3/5, is just crazy as well. He dings the price tag but I haven't regretted spending $80+ on my first slide and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for $40+ if my dog accidentally eats the remote!

August 2010 - TiVo Slide Remote - 3/5
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368138,00.asp

March 2010 - TiVo Premiere - 4/5
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361785,00.asp

September 2008 - TiVo HD XL - 4/5
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2329290,00.asp

July 2007 - TiVo HD - 4.5/5
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2161653,00.asp

19. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I think the review is pretty bad. He is comparing the interface to that of the Verizon one, which 1 Not everyone has the new interface yet and 2, there is people complaining up and down about the speed of it. 3 Verizon is not that big of a "cable" MSO yet. If you want to compare, compare to the crappy ass cable company I have and there interface.

20. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Regarding bandwidth: With Multi-Room Streaming, one TiVo can stream a show to another TiVo over a WiFi N network. iPad/iPhone can connect to the save WiFi N network that the TiVos use. So, bandwidth between devices is not a problem.

Regarding CPU power: The iPad 2 CPU (1 GHz A5 dual core) and the iPhone 4S CPU (800 MHz A5 dual core) are both faster than the TiVo Premiere CPU (400MHZ Broadcom BCM7413 dual core). So, CPU power on the iPad/iPhone isn't a problem.

In summary, iOS devices have more CPU power and equal bandwidth to the TiVos. Therefore if the TiVos can stream to each other with MRS, then TiVos should be able to stream to an iPad TiVo app too.