PC videos aren't found in Tivo using Tivo Desktop Plus.......

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Family, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Advertisements

PC has Windows XP and Tivo Premiere does not see any videos using Desktop Plus. The computer is recognized in the My Shows list and pictures/music can be transferred, but videos such as WMV files don't exist inside the PC folder of the Tivo. The WMV files are located inside the "My Tivo Recordings" folder of the laptop and selected in the "Share music/pictures/videos section of Desktop Plus. Also video sharing and video downloads are checked at the My Tivo Website.

I searched, threads, but couldn't find any answers. What am I missing? Thanks.............

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Are you using TiVo Desktop Plus? The plus turns on the codecs needed to convert WMVs to MPEG2s. If you place a correctly formatted MPEG2 in that folder, it will work with the free version of TiVo Desktop.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What do you see if you transfer something from the TiVo to the PC? Can you see it in that folder on the pc? Can you transfer it back? I'm wondering if TDP is pointing to that folder, or someplace else.

4. dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I had the same thing happening and here is what I figured out. I have a Windows 7 PC set up with 5 user accounts (dad, mom, sally ...). The "dad" account installed TiVo Desktop and all of the videos are placed in the "public videos" directory.

If I fresh boot/restart, and log in to "dad" and start Tivo Desktop, then the TiVos correctly see all of the videos. However, if I then log in to mom or sally, then the TiVos report "no videos found". If I log out of mom or sally and then go back to the original "dad", then the TiVos once again see the videos. If I simply switch user back to "dad", it still won't work.

I haven't done enough experimentation to figure out what works and what doesn't and how to permanently fix the problem.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

That is exactly where I was going with this. If you move content off of the tivo, you can verify where it is going and make sure to put movies to serve to the tivo in that location. You can review the path in TDP, but with user accounts that gets awkward to me. I use a separate drive for these files and have TD point there.

6. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Thanks much. Excellent ideas and I will experiment tonite/tomorrow. Thanks to all three. I will update tomorrow... if anyone can check back. Was out of ideas and you three have given me some.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    In your case, I suspect that the path to the video folder in TiVo Desktop is not an absolute path but a relative path based on the active account and that logging into a different account changes that while just switching users doesn't.

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Problem solved. The media acess key didn't match. Stupid... Would have taken forever without you folks.

Thanks to all.