PC to Tivo Transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dhoward, Jul 18, 2007.

1. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I was going to try and transfer video files directly from my PC to S2DT Tivo. However, my PC is not showing up in the Now Playing List. I can transfer Tivo to Tivo using desktop plus (I have two S2DT on my home network). I can play music and photos on the Tivo . The PC shows up in those Tivo applications just not in the now playing list. Is this a firewall setting or something I need to setup via the Tivo software?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Transfer a show from one of the TiVos to the PC first. Then it will show up.

3. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I don't think that is it. I am trying to put my own video on the PC and transfer it to a Tivo. I get the video to be seen on the tivo desktop but my Tivo(s) never see the PC icon in the now playing list. I think the folder should be there regardless of whether it is empty or has a file in it.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I don't think that's true. IIRC, your PC folder will only appear on your TiVo's NPL if your "My TiVo Recordings" folder contains at least one transfer-compatible file (i.e., a .tivo file or properly formatted MPEG-2 file).

TiVo Desktop isn't involved in TiVo-to-TiVo transfers ... that's MRV (multi-room viewing).

Since you mentioned Plus, did you actually purchase a TiVo Desktop Plus key? What file types are you trying to transfer back?

5. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Yes, your right, that is MRV. Sorry. Yes I did purchase the key. I am trying wmv and mpg files for transfer. I have successfully used the desktop software to move files from my tivos to the PC and convert them to Ipod files. That direction works.

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  7. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I finally made some headway. Curiousmark is correct. Until there is a valid file in the folder the TIVO cannot see the PC. I have been trying wmv and mpg. I When I tried a mov file it worked and I was able to download and view it on my TIVO. The other formats are listed as ok. Why will they not work? Is there a setting I am missing?

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  9. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I am using the latest version and no they are not DRM.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Try the Videora Tivo Converter. It's a free download and will convert the more common formats into proper Tivo format.
    It has worked every time for me (YMMV).

11. RickinTucson

RickinTucson New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Does anyone know if the Videora converter will convert MPEG4 to TiVo?

12. fgonzalez

fgonzalez fgonzalez

Aug 9, 2007
    Miami
    Hello, everyone. I'm totally new to this community so, please forgive me if my questions are too dumb or out of order.
    I have two S3 and my pocket video device is an Archos 604Wifi.
    If I get a cheap S2, network it with my other S3's, and download TTG on the S2; Will I be able to download to my PC (or the Archos) the networked playlists or only the S2's?
    Thank you very much