PC-To-TIVO: "Not transferred..not found".

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by buckyswider, Jan 16, 2006.

1. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003

Advertisements

"This program was not transferred onto this DVR because it was not found on [My Server Name]"

Anytime I try to transer and non-TIVO file (homegrown MPG) from my PC to the TIVO, it fails with this message. The file is there...and within specs as defined by TIVO. Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Does this function work well for others?

<n.b.: cross-posted...asked this as a replay on the "help" forum>.

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I have seen many people have success with sending the video but I have heard of a few instances where no matter what was tried one file could not be transferred.

Don't ask me why but you could be in that group... have you been able to transfer any other files?

3. FandL

FandL New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    The filenot found error is a generic error on the TiVo. The file you are trying to transfer is not compatible with the TiVo. The standards are posted on the TiVo website and you need to re-encode the file for it to transfer.

Hope this helps.

URL to video compatibility.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv251080.htm?

4. dgtucker

dgtucker I like cheese

Feb 16, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I ran into that problem last night. In my case I had ripped some episodes of 24 off a DVD and renamed the subsequent .vobs to .mpg. Most of them worked, but a few refused to copy to the TiVo. Taking a second look, I realized the ones that failed were the ones for which I had selected the 2 channel audio stream instead of the 6. Only those few episodes had a 2-channel English stream, and I figured it was the way to go since my TiVo has a 2-channel output. And anyway, it made for a smaller file size - 80 - 90 megs difference per episode, all told.

So, using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, I went back to a problem episode and chose the 2-channel option as before. This time, though, I remapped the stream to 0x80, and voila - it transferred and played fine on the TiVo.

I haven't searched for this on the forums, but I'm assuming the TiVo expects the video and audio streams to be 0xE0 and 0x80, respectively. I'm not at all sure this will help in your case, but hopefully somebody can use it.

5. buckyswider

buckyswider Member

Aug 31, 2003

Advertisements

Thanks everybody. I had verified the settings against what TIVO was mandating, and they all match up. Now I'll try to go back and verify my audio setting against the "undocumented" requirements as discovered by dgtucker.

Now I only have to figure out which program to use to do this, out of the estimated four thousand, six hundred and thirty video editors which litter my desktop!!!!

EDIT: Yes Indeedy, that was it! I used "ArcSoft Show Biz", loaded in the MPG file, and simply rewrote it using their "DVD" defaults (dolby). Now it works! However, the re-rendering has really muddied the audio (as well as some ill effects to the video as well). I'll try to figure out how to use "DVD decrypter" to edit an MPG file....boy, it's amazing how all these video tools pile up, and I can't remember where most of the came from!!!

6. dgtucker

dgtucker I like cheese

Feb 16, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, recompression stinks.

I fixed another "bad" mpeg with vStrip, which is a pretty great command-line vob utility for windows. Running it without additional switches showed me my AC3 stream was at 0x82, or stream #3. I had it re-multiplex the video and remap my audio to stream #0, and that made the TiVo happy again. It processed a 1gig file in about a minute, so it's fast enough for my occasional need.

Good luck!

7. nilegomez

nilegomez New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Virginia...
    I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm not getting any error messages. When I put mpg files into my Tivo folder on my pc, my Tivo acknowledges the folder, but can't "see" the files inside. I've tried encoding my files to mpg using two different encoders with identical results. I thought it might be a firewall issue, but if it can see the folder, it should be able to see the files inside the folder, right?

Anyway, any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated!

8. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    These two posts contain some very good information!!! Thanks for taking the time and effort to figure this out and document it. I've been doing TiVo-compatible vob rips for awhile, but never had the time to really get deep into the examining and re-ripping time it would take to research those problem files. The only other caveat I've discovered with regards to direct vob->mpg renaming is that some DVDs have a bitrate of greater than 8 Mbps, and require recompression down to something the TiVo finds more reasonable (my low-def 27" cheapo RCA tv looks great with just 4 Mbps).

Hopefully this thread will come up in the future for people searching for help with PC->TiVo file transfers.

9. dgtucker

dgtucker I like cheese

Feb 16, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    There's always something :rolleyes:

I haven't come across many that exceed 7 or 8, but a secondary concern, at least for me, is having to resample so I can stream the sucker across the network faster than realtime. I don't want to let a show buffer for 20 minutes before I can watch it... it would be quicker to just pop in the appropriate DVD, and that would defeat the purpose of my wasting time ripping from disc in the first place :D

10. dgtucker

dgtucker I like cheese

Feb 16, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    What format are the source files in, and what encoders, settings, etc., are you using?