Pc to tivo and Galleon questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by walk1355, Jan 14, 2006.

1. walk1355

walk1355 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Okay first of all, I want to say in advance thanks for all the help that you guys have given me already by me just browsing this forum.

But now down to the questions I have.

I have a tivo with the most current software on it. If I download the current version of the tivotogo software onto my computer and the videora tivo converter (videora is great, i use their software to convert video for my ipod video as well), will I be able to easily stream or put the converted videos from my computer onto the tivo?

My second question is does the video stream from the computer or does it have to transfer the actual file onto the tivo before I can watch it?

My third question is, what is this Galleon software that I see mentioned all over this thread? I googled it but couldnt find their official website, the only thing I did find was link to download the program. I want to read about this software before I downlaod it and install it to see if I really need it or not. So if somebody could just give me a link to a site that explains all about the galleon software that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for answering all of my noobish questions.

walk1355

2. FandL

FandL New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Videos on your computer must be converted to the proper Mpeg2 format to transfer to the TiVo if thay are not .tivo files.

The files get loaded onto the TiVo. They are not streamed.

Galleon is a rather nice replacement for the TiVo software and is what I use. The download link will take you to the site and explain what it does.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Here is the official document on TiVo's support site that describes what file formats are supported for playback on your DVR:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv251080.htm?

I haven't used videora, but as long as it can convert a .tivo file into one of these supported formats, you should be good to go.

It's kinda both ... the file is copied from your PC to the TiVo, but you can watch it while it is still copying.

The official site is http://www.galleon.tv and it does a much better job of explaining what it is and what it does than I could here. I highly recommend it. :up: :up:

4. walk1355

walk1355 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Wow, thanks for those super quick replies people, pretty much answered all the questions that I had.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No problem.

Galleon's developer (screen name: javahmo) frequents this forum. Just do a search for Galleon and you'll find the threads he starts every time there's a new release.