PBS Plans Promotional Breaks Within Programs

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, May 31, 2011.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/business/media/31adco.html?_r=2&hp

So instead of the promo bumpers at the beginning and end of shows, there will be breaks within shows (much like they do with pledge week and much like traditional TV networks).

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Grrr.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    but it's still "commercial free"!

:D

Really, it's all moot with TiVo. :)

4. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
  5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So pretty soon, PBS won't be any different from any other TV network. Maybe they should just quit the charade of being in the "public interest" and begging the public for money, and instead just charge their "sponsors" the true value of their commercial spots and be done with it.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    With the budget cuts coming, they may not have any choice

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    My DVR can skip over these "promotional announcements" just as quickly and easily as it does commercials, thank you very much. :)

8. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Why do we need to fund "public broadcasting" for such a small number of people to watch, yet gets Federal and State funding too? They used to be allowed just small slates at the beginning and ending of programs, then that was expanded to what now is similar to 10-second commercials, and now they want intra-programming funding breaks on a regular basis? Those would be, ahem, commercials... Pay me and I'll give you more programming. Same as commercial broadcasters do. Time for public broadcasting to go away. Auction off every one of those licenses and see if the public buys them...

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They'll always be different. Other cable networks have a measurable number of viewers.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So if those watching PBS are so few that they can't be measured, maybe they don't have any business being in business.

11. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I don't think they need to sell the license or the freqs. Just cut the funding and let them convert to a standard commerical braodcaster if they want to. If they don't, they can give up their freq/license. Then that can be sold.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But don't commercial broadcasters typically have to bid and pay for the right to operate on a certain frequency? Why should PBS stations be allowed to simply convert from "public" to commercial without those frequencies being available for anyone wanting to operate a commercial broadcast network to be able to bid on them?

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    No

At least, not in the past I don't think. I think the freqs were given away.

14. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    And in some cases those frequencies (radio and TV) that were awarded to non-commercial broadcasters, were competing at the FCC with commercial applicants. I agree, put them up for auction...let all interested in bidding, current and other potential licensees.

15. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I don't know why I'm surprised. I've been losing my love for PBS ever since I found out that Masterpiece is edited for time. Up to 10 minutes is excised from each episode even though many of the series (Poirot, Marple, Lewis, Downton Abbey) air on a commercial network in the UK. That might not be too bad for dramas, but with detective series it can leave viewers literally clueless.

16. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Personally, I agree. Most of what is on PBS has other possible venues. But, it's handy to have it all in one place. I'm a big fan of the Masterpiece family of programs. Even if many of them weren't branded that way at the beginning. ;-)

I send my PBS a stipend every year and while I ask them not to waste money sending me stuff, they do which annoys me. Opt out seems like a reasonable request in return for my money.

17. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Agreed. Show me the whole program. Once reason why I stream a lot from Netflix.

18. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    PBS has it made. They get funding from the federal government, funding from corporations, funding from non-profits, and people call up and donate money too. What a racket.....

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, that's very interesting. I have been harping on syndicated reruns being hacked for a long time.. I didn't know about this on PBS stations...

(Though the netflix *streams* and *dvds* of some shows are cut too -- e.g. some people have said that the Top Gear episodes are cut since they're ~51 mins on streaming.. and we know that spooks/mi-5 is cut)

So I wonder if the DVDs of these shows are cut too..

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Cry me a river....