PBS News exclusively skipped by OnePass recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SeniorViewerRAR, Nov 22, 2020.

1. SeniorViewerRAR

SeniorViewerRAR New Member

Nov 22, 2020

Advertisements

Unless the DVR is already on, the OnePass-scheduled program of PBS News is skipped, any day, any time. No other PBS shows are so treated nor any other channel programs. Anyone have a clue as to what ‘‘this is about?!

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    have you deleted, then recreated, the 1p to see if it resolves?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What program?

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Do you mean unless the TV is already on? (TiVo DVR’s are always “on”)

5. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020

Advertisements

Intriguing. Whatis a "1p" and how do I delete and recreate?

6. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    PBS NewsHour,

7. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    Unless I have started another show playing or recording thru the DVR, it usually has been inactive enough to go into standby. For the past few months I have been doing a workaround for my issue by setting the Tivo to record a show from another channel in the half-hour before the desired PBS show to get its juices flowing, and this always works (unless I forget to do it, or the selected show is preempted by football).

8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Disable standby and problem solved. It’s cost saving ability is negligible.

dlfl likes this.
  9. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    What could be easier! I'll give it a go, thanks.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I agree although there will be those who quibble, especially those located where electricity rates are very high, e.g., California. If we assume $0.25 /kWh and 30 W reduction for being in standby, the savings is around $5 / month. Certainly good to do as long as it doesn’t cause problems like the OP is having.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    1p = onepass

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I seem to recall someone trying to determine the actual savings on this and it was less than that I thought.

13. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    Thanks. Yes, but no effect.

14. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    Turning off all power saving did the trick, indeed! The energy cost is a small price to pay for the convenience. The intellectual challenge of the question of why the selectivity of the fault remains, but it is not keeping me awake at night. Thanks!

NorthAlabama and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  15. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    I lied. (Or more generously, I had a Senior Moment. ) I thought I had, but I hadn't. The "1p" was indeed the problem! After almost 4 years of faithful and faultless service by our TIVO, that it should be the source of my pain was the last thing on my mind. I thought the TV program must have changed its signal! Live and learn (maybe )! Thanks so much, and Happy Thanksgiving!

16. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    Well, I couldn't go to sleep after all. In fear that I had done something wrong (I had), I was preoccupied with PSU_Sudzi's note. Now I'm back on full-bore power saving with no problem. Thanks again. And, Happy Thanksgiving.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    $5/mnth per Tivo sounds like a lot. I live in CT. How much would an old school 60 watt bulb cost if left on 24 hrs a day?

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a spare basic Roamio (no cable card, 3TB WD Red) and a Kill-A-Watt. I plugged in the meter, then the wall wart. That's 3 watts without anything using the wall wart. I then connected the power to the Roamio. After it finished boot, I set power saving to max. At this time it's using 20 watts. Give me a few hours and I'll check the power use when the green LED goes out.

More data: the house next door is empty. I have a power company that has daily power consumption on-line. With only the door bell and heater transformers connected it uses about .3KWH/day. My house, with only the fridge running, uses about 4KWH/day.

Cost is a big variable. To just have electric service is about $20 per month. My rate is .06950/kWH.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Standby power is 19 Watts. Running is 21 Watts. I set it for KWH. I'll check tomorrow.

20. SeniorViewerRAR

Nov 22, 2020
    An update: Alas, the "fix" lasted for awhile, then extended success when I reset to "low" power setting. Finally, even this became undependable. Hopefully leaving the setting to no power saving will satisfy the need. Merry Christmas.