PBS HD in NY?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jamesbobo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

Since the NY market now has the MPEG4 signal up it has been said from a Direct TV dealer on these boards that PBS HD would be added in January. Any word when, and would it be in MPEG4 only? Any one in the NY market get the new 5 LNB dish yet? I have not seen a single one in my travels around northeast Jersey.

2. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    Not sure when it will be available from D*, but I'm currently receiving PBSHD via an OTA antenna, and I can tell you you're not missing much. What's being transmitted is not the WNET programming schedule, but the PBS national feed. This seems to consist of about a couple of dozen different shows that are rebroadcast over and over and over, instead of Mystery, Live from Lincoln Center, Great Performances, et al. Sigh.

/steve

3. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yet there are occasionally some very good shows and I'm not really a PBS viewer. I recently enjoyed an HD episode of Nova called "Deadly Ascent" about the physiological effects of climbing (Denali). My son is 4 and he was quite drawn to it as well. Soundstage can also be worth watching or recording.

4. hancox

hancox New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Also, unless anything has changed, it's also pixelating like mad under the burden of a bunch of subchannels...