Paying to transfer lifetime from a dead S2 standalone box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rlcarr, Sep 22, 2007.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    (Sorta related to my previous post...)

I have a lifetimed, dead model 140 Series 2 standalone. I believe the death was both the power supply and the drive. I wouldn't even start to boot (all the LEDs would turn on). I replaced the power supply and now it starts to boot, but it goes into endless green screen/reboot/green screen/reboot cycles -- and the drive doesn't sound right).

If a new disk doesn't fix it, can one still pay TiVo (or whoever) the $150 (or whatever it is) for an out-of-warranty repair/replacement and get the lifetime sub transferred to the new/rebuilt/whatever TiVo?

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    YES

3. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Who do you contact? TiVo? Or some designated 3rd party?

And what do you get for a replacement? Do they have any more single-tuner S2s to give back out these days?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Hint: It's a TiVo brand unit with payment made to TiVo for service.

5. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    So just call TiVo Customer Service and explain what I want? Any "magic" words or phrases to use (I imagine they are going to resist like heck doing a lifetime transfer)? Or does this generally go pretty smoothly?

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Just tell them you have an out of warranty TiVo you want fixed, they charge you $150 and fix/give you another TiVo and you keep your Lifetime Sub..you will have no problems as this is a standard service TiVo offers.