Pay Per View - how does it work?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Athenian, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Athenian

Athenian New Member

Jan 13, 2004

Advertisements

Although we've been DirecTV subscribers for 4 years, we've never ordered a PPV movie.

How does this work with the TiVo? I read on the board that if I order it though the web it will be recorded by all 3 TiVos but how long will it stay on the disk and can I save the movie to VCR (DVD actually)?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe when you order a PPV online it becomes available to be recorded/viewed on all receivers on the account. It is still up to the user to schedule the recording. It will remain until deleted.

3. Athenian

Athenian New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    So there's nothing to stop me from saving it? I thought I read something about copy protection for PPV shows.

4. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    When you play the movie out to your TV, just put a DVD recorder between the DTivo and the TV

That SHOULD work... but why don't you try, then report back?

5. Athenian

Athenian New Member

Jan 13, 2004

Advertisements

Well I'm not really interested in spending the money for PPV of the movie in question unless I can save it.

My DVD is connected to the second output on the TiVo, not "through the TV". Theoretically, just playing and hitting the record button should work, the only thing I'd be missing would be the header and some way to prevent someone else from accidently switching to live TV.

6. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    I don't do PPV so have no idea if they have any "special" coding that will not allow recording to an external device

The only recording I have made to external DVD writer was a "regular" movie that I had on DTivo from one of the movie channels (Hbo, etc) and had no problems at all

Over in a forum dedicated to DVD recorders...
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

...I've read some messages concerning some brands having more problems than others with data streams and copy inhibit coding

Go there and read and ask questions

As far as I know, the "cheap" LiteOn recorder I bought (DD-A100) will record anything at all, with no regard to protection flags, but you might Google that to verify

7. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    I record movies from PPV all the time. Recording stays on a machine for as long as you want. There is no copy protection flag, so you can dump it to your VCR or DVDR at your convenience later. I never tried to call for a PPV movie, I have my TiVos connected to the phone line so I just click on a movie I want. I think it cost you extra $1 or two to order over the phone. If you have R-15, then you can record all the PPV movies you want in advance and only pay if/when you watch them. I really like this feature. At any given time I have like dozen PPV movies waiting for me, but if I changed my mind or never had a time to watch them, I don't have to pay (after you paid and watch the movie it will stay on your machine until you delete, but if you didn't pay it will expire in a month or so).

8. bguppies

bguppies New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I used to order PPV with the remote, but it limits you to only the Tivo that you order the movie on.
    I have ordered 4-5 PPV's since X-Mas, via the website.
    Basically ordering through the website opens all the channels showing the movie you order, from 6AM-6AM the next day.
    You then have to go into the guide on each Tivo you want to record it and schedule it toi record. (it just doesn't give you the monetary prompt)
    I have recorded each movie over to a DVD afterwards just fine......
    So apparently there is no copyright protection as of yet.....

Bill

9. Athenian

Athenian New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Thank you Samo and Bill.

That's just what I wanted to know.