Pause Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boulderskies, Oct 16, 2019.

1. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013

Advertisements

It could be me but I noticed something that I wanted to ask you guys about: Several times when pausing live TV, it will start playing again without me pressing pause or play. The pause time interval varies. Is this normal.

Scott

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    yes, if you pause a non-recording it will drop to Live TV after I think 30 minutes to act as a defacto screensaver

jrtroo likes this.
  3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    When the buffer catches up to your pause point, the box has no choice but to UN-pause and start playing the oldest part of the buffer as it rolls forward and deletes that part of the program. In other words, you can only pause information that is still in the buffer for you to continue playing.

You can see this by simply moving your play point to the beginning of the buffer and then trying to pause the program - it will immediately un-pause and continue playing.

jrtroo likes this.
  4. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013

yes i thought it was something like this. but i have a hard time getting my head around it. in other words, when the buffer fills up with recorded material, it has to unpause and continue recording?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Its not the same with a recorded show. It will be paused indefinitely, unlike the Live TV buffer, which cycles the 30 minute buffer.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you need to pause for a long time, hit record sonic will save more than just the buffer.

When you pause, you can see the progress bar. Once the buffer gets ahead of live TV by about 30 minutes it will pause. How else would you want it to work?

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The buffer only stores the last 30 minutes. When you get past the 30 minutes, something has to give. Rather than stopping the buffer, the keep adding to the new part so the old part has to go away. If it is gone, you can’t pause at it.

8. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Thank you all! I get it now.

Scott