Passive HDMI Splitter, Series 3, HDCP Audio Issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mojoxp, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mojoxp

mojoxp New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    I've got a Series 3 with the HDMI connected to two televisions through a passive splitter from monoprice. Either TV works fine when connected directly to the S3. If I connect both TVs into the splitter, I get video on both but no sound. If I connect a single TV into the splitter, I get video and sound.

After playing with it for awhile, I'm wondering if its a HDCP issue. When its a single TV connected, the Tivo indicates that HDCP is active. When both TVs are connected, HDCP shows up as disabled and I get no sound.

Is there some way around this; enabling HDMI audio without HDCP? Or am I going to be stuck buying component cables (or an active HDMI splitter) and running it that way?

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    HDMI wasn't designed to work with passive splitters. There are negotiations that go on and data is encrypted using information specific to each device.

If HDCP wasn't in the picture and both devices are capable of receiving the exact same signal it might work under isolated situations.

You need to make sure there is only one display active at once, or get an active splitter if you want the HDMI to work the way you want.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get an active HDMI spliiter.

4. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I use this switch made by Accell. It's fully HDCP compliant, and it works perfectly with my S3. :)

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    He's not using a switcher, he's using splitter.

The spelling is similar so it is easy to mix the two if reading fast.

6. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    True 1X2 HDMI splitters can be had for under $100 now and 1X4 component video splitters can be had for under $30. I use several of them to get 4 component sources to any of 3 different screens.

7. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Oops! My bad. I should have read the original post more carefully. In case someone happens to be in the market for a nice 2-way HDMI switch, I still stand by original recomendation. :)