Party Down - Are We Having Fun Yet?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 #1 of 38
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Okay so by numerous suggestions and my new found love of Adam Scott as the straight man on Parks, I downloaded both seasons of Party Down. I just watched the first 3 episodes. I love it already. Between Adam, Jane Lynch, Lizzy Caplan and all the awesome guest spots from faces I recognize, it's great. Why again did this only last 2 seasons?? I wonder if I'll ever be able to see Ken Marino as this character though. All I can see (especially with Lynch in this too) is him poking a hotdog out of a bun like a penis. (from Role Models)

So far so good! :up:

2. May 4, 2011 #2 of 38
    calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    It was an original Starz show and very few people watched it during its original run. Like most people, I watched it after the fact and love it. There are some great episodes ahead for you. Steve Guttenberg's Birthday in the second season is fantastic.

3. May 5, 2011 #3 of 38
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, this was a great show. But I think it was too sedate and cerebral for a wider audience.

4. May 5, 2011 #4 of 38
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    HBO would have recognized how great it was and it would have had a good audience there. With it being on Starz, it was doomed. Enjoy the show, it was really fun to watch.

Another show that was fun to watch (not as good, but fun as well) but I don't recall the name. It was a crazy LA psychiatrist who treats movie stars. It was really a nutty show.

5. May 5, 2011 #5 of 38
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    of course. As soon as I posted, I remembered the name: Head Case.

6. May 5, 2011 #6 of 38
    lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Nope.

7. May 5, 2011 #7 of 38
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I have to admit, I thought on the third episode we weren't going to get the payoff for dude slipping the boner pill then there it was. Perfect timing. "Snap MotherF'er!"

8. May 5, 2011 #8 of 38
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    well, I mean that in the sense that HBO supports shows that it develops. They have a bigger audience and can in-house promo the heck out of a show. I think this show would have lasted 4-5 seasons on HBO.

9. May 5, 2011 #9 of 38
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Very few people get Starz and even fewer people are accustomed to looking to Starz for original comedies. This show had lots of love from critics, but just didn't draw the audience it needed. I was actually surprised it got a second season, as I seem to recall that the first season was only averaging about 600,000 viewers per episode.

This was a great show. I was sad it ended, but I also thought the second season suffered significantly with Megan Mulally instead of Jane Lynch.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    It is too bad it did not get a bigger audience. The show had an interesting set up where none of the actors had long-term contracts. So it made it very appealing for people to potentially join the show for a season and then do something else. I think they really could have gotten some additional interesting people passing through if they kept it on.

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    So wait. Jane Lynch isn't in the second season? That's hugely disappointing.

Just watched 4 and 5. I was in stitches with the back of the kitchen dick showing. I bet the actor wishes his real junk was that big. :D

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Second season had Megan Mullaly in lieu of Jane Lynch. I really love Megan M, but that character was really bad.

I, too, really liked that show and miss it. I also loved the one with all the suicidals. I forgot the name but it was a good show...quirky weird, but entertaining.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, it was hugely disappointing. Season 1 filmed before Glee took off, but Season 2 was filmed after JL had become a regular on Glee, so she wasn't available anymore.

14. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I was hoping nobody would mention that. It's a big disappointment to lose her and I wanted you to enjoy her without dreading her leaving.

IIRC, she does come back for 1 or 2 episodes in season 2.

15. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Yeah, S2 was good, but without JL, doesn't measure up to the same level of awesomeness as S1.

16. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Someone please tell me we eventually see this "Are we having fun yet?" commercial or whatever it was that everyone torments him with because it was obviously the only thing he ever did that was memorable. LOL

I'm up to episode 8 now.

17. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm happy to tell you what you want to hear: You will eventually see this commercial.

The real question is: is what you want to hear the truth? ;) :p :D

18. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Okay I finished both seasons. Got sidetracked with work and other shows. I have to say that I am so upset that is all I get of it. I thought every single character was all kinds of awesome and all the guest stars were head spinning! This is already on it's way to me from Amazon so I can keep the DVDs at least. Is there any extra footage or blooper type stuff on the DVDs, does anyone know?

19. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I was watching "Friends With Benefits" ( a new sitcom this week) and one of the leads was the blonde, good-looking guy from Party Down.

20. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yeah I downloaded and watched the first two episodes. Wasn't all that impressed but I'll give it a few more before I say nay.