Partial (zero length) reported for full program

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Church AV Guy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...

Advertisements

I found a new problem this week/weekend. This has never happened to me before, so I am confused. Several programs reported their length as zero (partial). I have seen this before, but in those cases, there really was only about a minute recorded. In each of the cases this weekend, the entire program was there, and it played back just fine, with two exceptions: The 30 second skip, and fast forward buttons didn't work, and gave me a "bong" sound when I tried to use them. I don't remember trying the reverse buttons. And, the program position gage showed no green, only white, just as if there was no content. The position indicator never progressed, but, like I said, the entire show and its content were there and accessible.

As I am thinking about it now, I feel this was happening only to programming on the second tuner. I should go try this tonight to see if that indeed is the situation.

Has anyone seen this and knows of a fix (No, I haven't unplugged it yet)? Is my TIVO dying?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Do the reboot. This fixes many weird problems that crop up.

3. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    [lemming mode] But this is a Tivo. It's perfect and never needs a reboot or has bugs. ;) [/lemming mode]

4. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA
    That happens on my HR10-250, too. Re-booting doesn't fix it as it still happens after that. I re-boot every 3 weeks for preventative maintenance.

However, I did reset a Season Pass the last time it happened, and the program recorded as planned (and in its entirety) after that.

5. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

how can you tell which tuner records which program?

6. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Well, it's a bit complicated, but here it is. I record a program every day to my DVD recorder. Tivo has a good/bad habit (It's a blessing, and a curse-- Adrian Monk) of always recording the "first" thing on the tuner you are currently NOT watching, so I was always getting a recording of what I didn't want. To deal with this, I put in a manual recording starting before my program, and ending at the start time of my program. I set the program I want, to start two minutes earlier than its official start time so I am forcing the TIVO to record AND to "show" my program, which the DVD recorder then happily records. The programs that were reporting zero length were the ones I wanted, and the ones that reported the correct length were the manual recorded shows. I unplugged the satellite two line, and the channel that reported losing the sat signal was sat 2, and I could see that it was on the station that I wanted to record, while sat 1 was on the station I had chosen for the manual record.

Last evening, I started two simultaneous recordings, and they both worked properly and reported the correct length of finished program. I'm stumped.

7. gukabear

gukabear New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    My HR10-250 is doing the same thing. Power off/reboot does not fix it. The problem is very intermittent. I noticed that when it is supposed to record, the channel that is selected is "stuck", meaning, watch it live and you only get a grey screen. If I change to another channel and then back, it comes back alive and records as normal. Others have stated that is may be a bad tuner or multi-switch.

8. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    I would guess it does that on channels you don't receive or on channels that lost Sat signals.