Partial Recordings issue - due to Tuning Adapter restarting itself

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by iconoclast, Nov 11, 2020.

1. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014

Advertisements

I occasionally have partial recordings. I have posted b4 re this.

I now have a good explanation but, not a solution.

The Tuning Adapter mysteriously restarts itself, sometimes once or even twice afternoon or evening. Once it did it twice ~ 1 hr. apart. Some days it does not do it at all AFAIK, I check time till last reboot on the TA Diagnostic page.

When the TA restarts, any program being recorded, EVEN IF ON A NON SDV channel… will STOP!

I have a Timer to restart my TA 1x/day @ 7AM. This is due to daily losing some or all SDV channels.

So, it makes sense that if TA restarts itself & it was recording an SDV channel, of course it would stop. But it is unexpected that TA restarting also stops non-SDV channels since those do NOT require the TA.

IDK Why this TA restarts itself. In the past year I have swapped out TA & power supplies a few times always with much trouble & tech calls & visits. Usually very difficult to get the new TA past the blinking light stage, even with a tech here.(No calls/visits for the mystery restart issue though, which I only recently discovered.)

CopRock likes this.
  2. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Could be the power supply crapping out on the TA or your cable company sending out updates that it doesn't catch or complete the first time [possibly due to the power supply] and redoes it over and over ... If you can get a fresh wall wart from the cable company just for the TA, try that but they may want to change the whole TA
    ...of course check all the connections first: finger tightened coax cables and USB cable is in good condition, etc

3. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    You might want to try plugging the TA into a UPS.

4. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks for the replies.

I do not want a UPS since that would defeat my timer which restarts TA daily @ 7 AM in attempt to keep from losing many SDV Channels.

I called Cox Level 2 tech & Cox does NOT send out an automatic signal to restart the TA. They are able to manually send out a signal to do that but they have not. He did not think restarting the TA should cause the TiVo stop recording non SDV programming. I have a splitter. That is how it was recommended to set up the TiVo & TA when I 1st got them.

I will try to change out the power supply to the TA. I have 1 or 2 extra. I had swapped them out when trying (w/o success) to solve the issue of the losing SDV channels.

No new TAs being made so if I were to get another refurbished TA, I may never get it working again & be worse off.

This is so annoying. I still lose some or all SDV channels almost every night. What a horrible piece of equipment.

The best solution is going to be cutting the cord & go to streaming & OTA antenna for local programming. Of course my Roamio Pro will be a paperweight. Cannot record OTA unless buy another Tivo (Bolt?)

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Maybe you plug the TA timer into the UPS then plug the TA into the timer? A short extension cord might make it easier.

Teeps likes this.
  6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    That's what I did... works fine.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    who told you no new tuning adapters being made? our issue was a faulty powerstrip