Parenthood S3E1 - "I Don't Want To Do This Without You" - OAD 9/13/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DreadPirateRob, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Yay. New season! Now that FNL is over, this is my wife and I's favorite show (to watch together - I have other shows that probably qualify as my favorite over this one, but I watch those alone).

Overall, I thought it was a pretty strong ep. It was a little disjointed because they tried to juggle and set up all the myriad storylines, and I would hope the next few eps are a little more focused.

I enjoyed seeing Adam live the life of a slacker for a little bit, and they were able to wrap it up pretty quickly but still make it believable by implying that he'd been like that for the 6 months or so that the show was on hiatus (judging by the progression of Christina's pregnancy). I'm not surprised by the decision to go into partnership with Crosby, sheerly for plot/storyline purposes, but part of me feels that is the most unrealistic part of the ep. In real life, and especially because of Crosby's prior track record of failure, Adam probably takes the dreary middle management job because it's the "safer" choice, although he undoubtedly probably would hate it. Did anyone notice that Crosby still made Adam pay for breakfast at the pancake house?

Speaking of Christina - she was far more restrained and less shrill in this ep than normal. Hopefull that trend continues. :) I was surprised at how fast Adam blew up at her over her accepting the job. I guess it seemed a little too "out of the blue" in its execution.

Haddie/Alex - I'm not sure Alex is going to be around much longer. Which is too bad, since I really like the actor. I was a little surprised that the cops were called for a fight at a party, since I can't tell you how many times in high school/college where I was at a party and punches were thrown and everyone just walked away, but again, story reasons probably dictated it. And it's not unconceivable that a spoiled rich kid (as the punchee was depicted) would call the cops if someone coldcocked him in his own house.

I liked Max's FNL shoutout, and also his matter-of-fact discussion of Alex's alcoholism.

I even enjoyed the Julia/Joel storyline, mainly because she acknowledged how ridiculous it sounds to want to buy the latte girl's baby although they are clearly going down that path (well, adopting rather than "buying". I thought the conversation between her and Sarah at the final party was hysterical.

And Sarah - well, I didn't quite buy how fast she came to the realization of what was upsetting her so much about Amber's behavior, but it still rang true (the emotion, not the speed with which it was resolved). I love how she described how she kissed the teacher - "like a starving person attacking a sandwich". Awesome. :)

What did you guys think?

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I thought it was pretty good for the most part, but Sarah is just as annoying as last season. I know a lot of people liked Gilmore Girls. I never watched it but if she was the same chattering chipmunk on that show as she is in this one, I'm glad I missed it.

"Good acting" does not equal "always saying your lines as fast as possible in a panicked state".

:)

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The stupid reality show ran 4 minutes into Parenthood and I missed the last 4 minutes. The last thing I saw was Adam telling Crosby he was going to take the bev job. So he didn't and went into biz with Crosby? I can see disaster written all over it.

And I could see the Hattie and Julia story lines coming a mile away. On Hattie, I never liked her, and I think it was wrong for her to even put Alex in a position where he might get into trouble like that. But I guess that's how teenage girls are usually written on TV...kind of selfish whiners (and they have two of them on this show).

On Julia/Joel Wouldn't it be REALLY awkward to adopt coffee girl's baby and then have to face her everyday in the office? I couldn't see that working out in real life. I hope they play up that angle.

On Sarah/Amber - It was obvious that Amber was acting like a kid, and just falling in love with whatever the first place she saw. She is ALSO being selfish, even though I get why she wants her freedom. That said, a good "mother" should have been more adamant and said not to rush into that apartment more strongly and that she'll help her find a good one. But we've already established that Sarah is just as selfish as her daughter.

I still cringe every time they have one of those family get togethers. For some reason they just don't strike me as realistic.

Overall, I still like the show.

4. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I love Jason Ritter.

That is all. :)

5. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I thought Adam was implying that he had to take the real job, but I thought the show ended with no actual decision made...??

The party resolution was unrealistic. You mean to tell me the cops are there at an underage party and NONE of the kids are getting in trouble? They're just all leaving and walking home? Please. All Alex had to do was grab her and pull her out of the house. I know, that means less drama and not the story line they were going for...but whatever. And Alex just simply waited there for the cops to arrive? What, were they across the street? In normal life, I'm betting you punch someone like that and disappear. Oh, no, let's just wait around for the cops... Whatever.

I really hoped I would like Amber more this season--I mean, she's had five months to grow up--especially after the whole accident thing. But I still dislike her. I just want to smack her. Of course, after the whole 40th birthday party discussion with the mom, we're supposed to go "ah, like mother like daughter" and be okay with it? And where did she get the money for an apartment? Did we learn she's working? She wasn't doing anything last season, was she?

I love this show, but am tired of the Hattie/Alex thing (mostly Hattie) and the Amber everything.

What's hilarious is that Adam and Christina were fighting and I was like "Honey, that's us!" And then a later scene when he was drunk and all emotional/lovey, Tom and I looked at each other like "Yep, they are us." :)

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To me, Adam and Crosby are what make the show interesting. The rest of them..meh. Their lives seem so contrived to me...like typical "TV family drama lives" Crosby is at least interesting, and his flakiness makes it fun. And Adam as the typical breadwinner trying to balance a teen daughter and a handicapped son and now job loss and an unwanted kid, is worth watching.

Sarah and her family...meh...there's too much inconstancy there in behavior, and her story is just not compelling to me.

Julia/Joel - Boring...I still don't think the writers have figured out what to do with them. Maybe they will just have them move away and write them out. Outside of either one having an affair (which almost happened with Joel), I don't see what could happen that would be "in character" for these two.

7. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Hmmm... I thought Adam decided to go in business with Crosby, but maybe that's just a prediction. Either way, you get the feeling that he will do that instead of taking the soda distributor job, if only to create more drama on the show, since things with Crosby never quite go as planned.

I forget to mention how bad Haddie and Amber's hairstyles were. Egads.

As for the party and the cops, granted all of my underage drinking parties are 20 years in my past, but in high school and especially college everytime we were at a party where the cops showed up, everyone just left, walking right past the cops, who were just mainly there to break it up (probably because there had been noise complaints). That part rang far more true to me than Alex getting arrested for punching the kid.

8. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I thought it was weird that Alex got arrested... why would someone call the cops to their own party where they were hosting that many underage drinkers? Only on TV, I guess.

9. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I don't think it was because it was the first place, I think it was because it's unique. She doesn't want a standard clean 1BR, she wants a funky loft.

No, Sarah had it just right. She had to stop fighting the apartment, it was just going to drive Amber away. As long as Amber's paying the rent (and while we haven't seen her at a job, I believe she's paying her own way) Sarah can't stop her.