Parenthood "Mr Honesty" OAD 11/22/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Nov 24, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I can see how Kristina would be so angry and hurt while at the same time I see Adam being mostly innocent. From her perspective, Adam left her at night to go back to work and ended up drinking and celebrating while she was home alone taking care of 3 kids. The worst thing he did was lie to her about having fired Rachel. Up until then, he technically hadn't done anything wrong.

And how about Jasmin cheating on Dr. Joe? I hope he dumps her like a bag of old garbage.

2. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    While you're technically right about Adam, I completely understand that's not how it feels to his wife. She's feeling vulnerable after the birth of Nora, and now Adam's out partying with the pretty girl at work. Yes, he was innocent, but it still hurt.

I've often wondered about the whole "coming clean" aspect and whether it really helps or not. Adam had no intention of continuing the relationship with Rachel. Was telling Kristina about it to clear his conscience a selfish move? It seems very complicated. I think I'll just not cheat on my wife and take the easy road. :)

tk

3. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I think Crosby hit it dead on when he told Adam that confessing will help ease Adam's conscience, but then cause Kristina to spiral downward.

What purpose did the confession serve? Adam was firm that his receptionist understand the kiss was inappropriate and not to be repeated. The work environment would need to little time to "rebalance," to re-establish some normal equilibrium after both the boss and subordinate are embarrassed by the incident.

All Adam did was ease his own guilt by telling Kristina. This feed her insecurities and vulnerability. She is hurt and suspicious, and feeling threatened. She is angry and slighted. Now the work enviroment is unsettled, and the home environment is in a bit of an uproar.

But Adam eased his conscience. What a moron.

4. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I don't think it's quite that black and white. Yes, Adam did ease his own guilt, but that's not all he did. While it sucks now, I'm sure if Kristina would have found out about this 2 or 3 years from now instead it would have been even worse. Not only would she have been cheated on (in her head) but she would have also been deceived, and thought that the people that knew were laughing at her behind her back. I'm sure the wronged person would prefer to find out sooner rather than later. Plus his guilty conscience would have affected the way he acted towards Kristina and Rachel in ways that would make no sense to Kristina, since she doesn't hae all the information. That's why it's so very complicated.

tk

5. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I think Adam was stupid to say he fired her when he didn't.

All he had to do was say I'm not going to fire her, she does too good of a job. But if I was Adam, I'd have made Rachel go talk to my wife if she wanted to keep her job. Let her sell it.

6. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Oh, an how long is it going to take for Adam/Kristina to realize Amber is a perfect tutor for Max, as evidenced by her working with him earlier in the season.
    They could pay her what they were paying Minka Kelly (Gabby?) and she could probably afford her apartment.

7. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Adam was a jackass. If you're going to tell her, you make a conscious decision to do that immediately after the fact to minimize the damage control required. If you're not, you make a conscious decision to do the opposite and you stick to it. And if you do tell her, you need to be as transparent as physically possible.

I think the reason people are reacting so strongly to this is because the entire season thus far has felt like a bunch of stupid people making stupid decisions. Couple that with the fact that Monica Potter's character has spent the better part of the series playing the victim/drama queen (and just as the writers were making strides with her, they throw that baby into the mix and further complicate her emotional state--damn, what a horrible plot twist), and you have a borderline unbearable situation that'll likely be with us for some time. I'm just disappointed that Katims, et. al felt they had to go there for the cheap drama.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I must have said "what an idiot" half a dozen times during this episode.

And Amber - please stop wearing that hat.

9. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    The stupidest thing Adam did was to lie about firing her. Did he not think his wife would ever call or come by the office?

Dumb as a rock...

10. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    This.

And telling Kristina about the kiss was the only option, IMO. Not telling her and letting her find out by other means later? Yeah, good luck with that.

11. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    No, the dumbest thing was kissing her in the first place. He claims that Kristina is the love of his life. Why is he kissing anyone?

12. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Adam's whole storyline is crap right now. I don't like the created drama, when they have plenty of opportunities for regular life drama.

I like Parenthood, but it only succeeds in about 75% of the storylines. Usually there is at least one stinker going on. Sarah's stuff has been pretty uniformly good. Most of the kid stuff is good. Sydney's issues with losing, Max and the bullies, Amber's struggles with making it on her own, Drew's new girlfriend. Those are good and feel right. Young super hot chick is into Adam? Not so much.

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They need to work hot chicks into the story line using a different Braverman family. It's been bad luck for them

14. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Can anyone with San Francisco knowledge comment on how much time these folks spend in the car? I think the parents live in Berkely? Julia and Joel said they lived in Oakland, right? The Luncheonettte is in Haigt-Ashbury?

Just seems like for all the see each other they live kind of far apart.

15. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA
    He DIDN'T kiss her...she kissed him, he immediately pulled away and said he was happily married.

As far as telling his wife about the kiss, I think it was a dumb move....he knows his wife is not feeling as attractive since having the baby, is going through a lot emotionally and it was a non issue since he didn't kiss her back. All he did was make his wife feel bad and distrust him. Then to tell her he will fire Rachel, not do it and lie about it....REALLY dumb

16. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    BS. If he didn't want to be kissed, it was easy not to be.

17. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    This is probably why I am not married but what business is it of his Adam's wife how he decides to run the business?

"She kissed me, I talked to her told her it is unacceptable and if it happens again she is fired. I did not fire her then because she is good at her job and she works cheap and we need that right now."

How is that statement not end of story?

18. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    How DARE you try to inject logic into this half-brained story line! :)

Seriously, I agree. Sepinwall made the point in his review that Adam and Kristina were always the couple that could have those kinds of rational discussions, and that seems to be gone this season.

Oh, and the Zoe story needs to go, now, and that boyfriend of hers needs to be punched four or five times in the face.

19. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Because Kristina never lets anyone answer a question without interrupting, so she always has the last word?

20. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Which is what I thought when she challenged him about not firing her. He should be able to say that and be done. If not they have a crappy marriage.