Parenthood "Missing" OAD 11/29/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Nov 30, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I was liking the way Julia was handling Zoe. She bought coffee elsewhere, told her they didn't need time to think about it, they needed time to get over it, and then telling her to close the door behind her. But then at the end Zoe is back. Bleh. Someone needs to punch that boyfriend in the face and tell him to shut up about being paid for the baby because if it isn't adopted by someone he will be paying 18 years of child support.

I wish they would cut Max's hair. I would have liked to have seen him in a little more danger during his "adventure". Would have been nice to see him try to have a tantrum with a stranger. I was cheering Haddie on when she wanted to confront Max while the parents were all "let him go feed his lizard" and "how was your adventure". I know he has aspergers but I would have punished him.

So is jasmine not going to tell Dr. Joe she cheated on him? So we will get the alternative course of action from what Adam took in "Mr Honesty". what will happen when Dr. Joe finds out and realize Jasmine lied to him?

2. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Someone mentioned in last week's thread that Zoe was annoying and could go away at any time. I wasn't on board with that then, but I am after last night.

3. Dec 2, 2011 #3 of 37
    RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I'm not. I think Zoe is stuck between doing the right thing for her child and having boyfriend who is a complete ******. I hope it works out for all of them.

Interesting resolution to the Max situation this week but still think Kristina found the wrong job for Amber.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #4 of 37
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I still think Amber is going to end up as Max's tutor.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #5 of 37
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Glad Rachel isn't going anywhere. :up:

:D:D

6. Dec 3, 2011 #6 of 37
    Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Exactly this. He talked her into the payment request, she thought "Hey? Why not? They have lots of money." and didn't know it was illegal. Now she's gotten in too deep and doesn't know how to get out.

I'm glad she still came to Julia. There is no way Julia would have done anything but take her in, and I'm glad she recognized that.

Loved Crosby's line about getting Christina to forgive him: "That might not be an option for you so you might have to think of something different."

Christina's phone call to Rachel? Awesome. Good for her. Of course I'm unconvinced that one day at work is enough to fix all her security issues, but still. I was worried that Max's adventure was going to be the end of her working, but it looks like she's going to stick with it.

On that note, how the hell did she find childcare that fast? Sure, she had to scramble for Saturday, but she starts work "for real" Monday. Is it really that easy to get a kid into daycare? Here it's months or years on a waitlist.

Is Amber's mom really going to have a baby at 40+? Oof. I did love his line: "where one is low and ten is high?"

And can we address Haddie's curls for a second? WTH? Yes, it's realistic she'd have curly hair considering Max's, but are we just ignoring the fact that it was stick straight for two seasons?

7. Dec 3, 2011 #7 of 37
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Weirdest thing this episode? Drew and Haddie snuggling on the couch for Zeke's commercial. That doesn't really seem to fit either of their characters, braverman family closeness or not.

8. Dec 4, 2011 #8 of 37
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Totally missed that! Perhaps they were trying to quell their mutual nausea and shame from seeing their grandpa in an ED ad! :D;)

On another note-since we're sharing-does Drew look totally different this year? I thought it was another actor-I mean I know people change as they grow, but I think he looks reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly different....:eek:

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 37
    Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    Pretty sure he said "where one is low and ten is high", and Sarah re-affirmed two on that scale.

10. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yep. I'll be annoyed if Julia and Joel still wind up with the baby after all this. They're too rational not to know that going through with it would end badly, and there would have to be a pretty radical departure from their current stance (which seems to be acceptance). They're coming to terms with not getting the baby. Let them do that and move on.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why Zoe is getting a free pass here. As soon as it was made clear that such a transaction would be illegal, she should've said to herself, "Well, that's the end of that." What else did she expect...that an attorney would readily put her job and livelihood on the line? She's even dumber than I thought if that's the case. I thought the writers had an end game for this plot, and I'm hoping they still do and that we're reached it. I don't want to see them delve into this any more. This is not how regular adoptions work.

11. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I wish they would spank some sense into Max... or something...

Regardless of whatever they think is wrong with him, his behavior is continually unacceptable and the coddling that goes on just makes it worse. I realize it is a tv show, but it seems to portray this in a way that is accurate for many families.

I do not think they are doing him any services by allowing him to behavior so out of bounds with no consequence.

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    They don't "think" something is wrong with him - they know he has Asberger's. They also know that his mind works differently, and that "normal" punishments would be lost on him. They have to work within his world.

That said, I actually get stressed out when an episode centers on him. I sincerely don't think I would have what it takes to parent a kid with his condition. And my hat's off to those who do.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, they have to treat him like a dog. Punishment would only be effective when they catch him in the act. After the fact is too late, so why bother?

14. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Oops, mistyped!

I just loved his disbelief that this wouldn't send sarah running

15. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    That was such a great scene. The realization on both of their faces as to how serious they had gotten was intense.

Isn't she only 38, though? Hardly out of the realm of child-bearing years. ;)

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    38 is very old to be having a baby. Her fertility level is going to be extremely low and if she did get pregnant the chances her baby would have Down Syndrome are very very high.

17. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    38's more realistic. Yes, your risk of Downs, etc. goes up as you age, but I'd take out some of those "very"s. :)

But I'm also assuming it would be a couple of years before they started trying, maybe get married, move out of her parents' house.

18. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Zoe is a terrified kid with no adults influence. She came to Julia as the only adult who has helped her. I can see the ****** boyfriend losing parental rights for trying to sell the baby. Then Julia and Joel have a clear path.

Kristina is older and no one said boo about that.

19. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Yes, but an "oops" is different from starting the whole process at 38. Not in terms of birth defects, but in terms of fertility.

If you're 38 and in a new relationship and thinking about having a baby you've got to put the pedal to the metal.

20. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    At 38 the chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome is 1 in 177. http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/downsyndrome/l/bldownssyn.htm
    You don't call that very very high?