Parental Control Problems with Made for TV movies

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVolunteer, Feb 8, 2007.

1. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I posted this over in the Series 3 forum and got no responses. I've since learned that it is a broader problem that exists in Series 2 as well, so I thought I might get more help over here

Original thread -- http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=335698

The Tribune guide data that is sent down to our TiVo's contains program ratings and is used to decide whether or not to invoke the Parental Controls. Theatrical movies just have the MPAA ratings (G, PG, PG-13, R, etc). Shows produced for TV just have the TV-Rating (TV-G, TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-PG, etc). However, made for TV movies (including most of the movies shown on the Disney channel) have both rating fields MPAA and TV-Rating. Unfortunately, the MPAA rating field is usually NR or Not-Rated and the correct information is in the TV-Rating field.

The TiVo's correctly use the MPAA data for theatrical movies and correctly use the TV-Rating info for TV shows. However, they seem to use the MPAA rating data for Made for TV movies instead of the TV-Rating data. Since those are marked as NR -- the TiVo won't allow my daughter to watch Disney movies (e.g. the recent "Jump In" or tonight's "Seventeen Again") without Mom or Dad putting in the code.

The rating information that is displayed in the banner is "NR" but have TV-PG or TV-G if you go look at the listings on Tribune. When you look at those shows on DirecTiVo, the TV-PG rating is what is shown in the banner. The TV-rating information does make it all the way to the S3/S2 because you can see it when you press INFO (two ratings fields are shown). However, the TiVo is using the wrong one.

I've even gone in and told it to allow unrated shows. However, the "NR" (which Tribune says means not-rated") is being treated differently than having a rating missing. Even with the setting wide open for unrated shows, you still have to enter the parental passcode to record the movie AND to play the recording.

Is this a known problem? Didn't find anything in the search. Anybody else seeing the same thing?

I've been mainly a DirecTivo user up until the Series 3's came out and the problem didn't exist there. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance

2. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    I have seen this rarely. My wife or I just put in the code or the kids pick something else.

3. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    Yeah, that's where we are as well. But it is getting kinda old especially since the family was used to it working so well on the DirecTiVo's.

Hard to believe more people haven't run into this. I guess it is a combination of the movies the kids watch and where you have your parental controls set.

Since they already are looking at the show type to determine which field to use (MPAA rating or TV-rating), it should be fairly simple to change that IF statement to say

IF Type=Movie THEN
    IF MPAA_RATING = "NR" THEN
    use TV-RATING​
    ELSE
    use MPAA_RATING​