Pan's Labyrinth [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kyote, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kyote

kyote Who me?

Oct 20, 2001
    modesto.ca

Advertisements

[spoilers]
    I just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth a few minutes ago. Man, what a movie! When the ending came, I started to question whether or not it was real what she was seeing or not. Up until the last 15 minutes I was fairly convinced that everything was real. But, in the end, when the wicked stepfather didn't see the faun, and then when she died on the edge of the gateway, I started to have doubts. However, they showed the resistance fighters seeing the chalk outline on the wall. Then, there was the mandrake root being burned in the fire which led immediately to her mother dieing.

Of course, a person could explain those away. Stress of dealing with her daughter and new husband and the root caused her mother to relapse. The chalk outline could have simply been an outline.

So, I don't know whether it was real or not. All I know is that poor girl had a miserable existence up until her death. I hope that she found happiness in the end.

It was a great movie, I gave it four stars on netflix. What do you guys think? Real or not? Did you even like it or did you hate it?

2. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I think you need to learn how to use spoiler tags.

Greg

3. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I also thought it was a great movie. 5 stars for me. I am not a fan of subtitles but this one (and Letters from Iwo Jima) were just so unobtrusive that I didn't even notice them. Not sure where spoiler tags factored into this :)

4. nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF

Advertisements

It was her way of dealing with the General and her circumstance - it was imagined

5. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I totally disagree that that is the definitive answer. It's left open to the viewers interpretation and I think how you decide speaks a lot to some personality aspect or other.

6. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 14
    nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF
  7. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 14
    JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    It's not intended as an insult. I read an interview where he said it was up to the viewer to decide. My opinion is that people of a certain disposition feel it's one way, and people of another disposition like to think it's the other. Me I don't care, it was a good movie :)

8. Sep 2, 2007 #9 of 14
    nedthelab

nedthelab New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    SF
    Fair enough - it was a very good movie indeed, and I appreciate their ability to tell this story in a fantasy way aimed at adults.

9. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I thought it was a big Bore. so did the wife.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    (just watched this also; since I didn't see it in the theaters, I waited for an HD movie channel to show it--in this case, MAX-HD)

It was an interesting story, but I thought it really dragged at times. There were scenes that took soooo long to play out, that decent editing (IMO) could have halved the time. I found myself watching at 1FF speed for several minutes at a time (which is easy to do when subtitled, if you can read fast).

I also thought it was clear that the fairy tale was in her head, but YMMV.

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I doubt if many of you care but it won the best Long Form dramatic presentation Hugo at the recently held World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convetion at Yokohama, Japan.

I enjoyed it. I watched the DVD because it was nominated for the Hugo but I realized that it was a very good movie, not just a good fantasy movie. Any movie that makes me get onto the internet to learn more about a subject (in this case the Spanish Civil War) is a good movie.

12. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    I personally believed the dream world to be real, as evidenced by her mother reacting to the burning of the mandrake and her escaping from the room with the chalk outline.

And nedthelab, in interviews Guillermo has stated that not only is it up to the viewer to decide, but he was the writer and he's not even sure what he believes.

Can't wait for some kind of HD release (with English subs.) Looks like it'll be a UK import of the HD-DVD this November.

13. Rosenkavalier

Rosenkavalier Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

Nov 9, 2001
    D/FW area,...
    Since the entire thread has (spoiler) in the title, I won't worry about tagging this...

My take on the movie is that all of the 'fantasy' elements were a dream/hallucination in her mind -- specifically, during the brief period between when she was shot and when she died. The reason I believe this is that the movie *actually* begins with her on the ground, in the position she would be in after being shot, but with the blood coming from her mouth *running in reverse*.

In other worse, the framing for the film is that we're moving into the mind of a dying little girl, and everything we "see" (given that it is told in flashback) cannot be trusted in the sense of 'literal truth'. For all we know, the literal truth is something entirely different.

The confusing elements (the adults that see portions of her fantasy world; the remarkable coincidences between the fantasy world and the 'real' world) can all be viewed through this same lens: in her mind, she's building every part of the story, including the confirmatory 'real world' evidence. And since that's the story we're seeing, we're swept along for the ride without any guideposts for what is actually happening.