Pan Am, S1E05, "One Coin in a Fountain", OAD 10/23/2001

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kaszeta, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, while several weaknesses continue to plague the show, it's starting to get some legs. The CIA subplot is getting some legs, and they look like they might be addressing my "what does Kate actually get out of this?" question.
    The Kate and Niko subplot looks like it might go on for several episodes as well, setting up some interesting tensions in the crew (Maggie pissed off at Kate for stealing Niko, and both Maggie and Collette know about the pilot shagging the Pan Am exec's wife).

That said, it continues to sink in the ratings. I'd already put it as being on the bubble.

2. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm getting pretty bored with it. Deleted the SP. I can see why it continutes to sink in the ratings.

3. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Seems like every episode has a very similar plot, just in a different place.

4. su719

su719 Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Did planes in the 60's fly multiple routes after leaving the US and not back and forth like they do today?

5. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, the 1963 timetables are available on the internets:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/pa/pa63/

It appears that there was a lot of multi-hop travel, especially through London, Paris, and a few other hubs.

It also seems that Monte Carlo wasn't one of their destinations....

6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    That's because Monaco doesn't have an airport. They mis-captioned that landing scene. The script dialog and the almost-looks-like the real airport had them going to Nice Côte d'Azur Airport, which is the closest airport to Monaco. (Page 05 on your link)

What they definitely wouldn't be is "Clipper 22" no matter where they went.

--Carlos V.

7. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Why not ? Clipper was PanAm's call sign.

8. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Clipper? Sure.

Flight #22 no matter where they went? Not so much.

--Carlos V.

9. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    In 1963? I have no knowledge of flight numbering schemes but I've certainly been on flight with two digits numbers.

10. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I think his point has been that they've called that plane "Clipper 22" on multiple episodes, with multiple itineraries, which doesn't make sense.

11. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I believe Pan Am's signature flights at the time were around-the-world flights, stopping at 6-8 destinations, one flight E-W, another W-E. Wouldn't be surprised if they were numbered Clipper 1 & 2.

12. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I think we need to explain that airlines use callsigns not in the form of N-numbers like us bugsmashers, but in the form of:

<airline callsign> <flight number>

E.g. Us Airways flight 1432 would be

AWE1432 on the flight progress strip.
    "Cactus 1432" on the radio.

--Carlos V.

13. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    You are essentially correct. For example, the schedule above has a Flight 2, starting in New York, ending in San Francisco, with stops in Glasgow, London, Frankfort, Belgrade, Instanbul, Beirut, Karachi, Rangoon, Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Honolulu

Very different model from today. Although, like today with certain carriers, there were a lot of restrictions, like not being able to use Pan Am for local traffic.

14. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Back then, airlines were either domestic or international but not both. I wasn't aware of the extended routes of the early jets. Seems like a tough life for the crews.

15. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Gorgeous people, exotic locations, free time to see the sights and meet the locals... Looks like a fairly awesome life to me. :D

16. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Back then? That's still often the case, due to air agreements, partnership arrangements, and operating certificates.

For example, you can't fly between US cities on Air Canada unless your itinerary includes a Canadian city, even though the plane actually flies there.

Sure, the specifics vary, but there's still a lot of this going on out there.

17. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Nothing to do with Pan Am, but just something to show how silly and capricious air traffic regulations can be:

To drive traffic to Dallas-Forth Worth airport, flights with more than 56 seats into/out of Love Field in Dallas were only allowed to and from another airport within Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico or Louisiana. This is why for the longest time if you flew Southwest to Dallas, you had to purchase 2 tickets: one to an airport within the allowed zone, then a ticket to Dallas Love Field itself. Flights to and from DFW were not subject to the restrictions.

In 1997 the law was changed to allow flights to Alabama, Mississippi and Kansas. Missouri was added in 2005. In 2006, the law was changed to allow connecting service to airports outside the zone, but all flights to/from Love Field must still land at an airport in one of the allowed states before continuing. The restrictions are set to expire in 2014.

18. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, I used to flight from PHX to DAL all the time in the 80s. Which involved stopping at ABQ, getting your bags, and checking back in.

I also remember flying to Dublin in the 90s when the flight had to stop in Shannon Ireland for treaty reasons... but nobody got on or off, and the plane didn't refuel. It just landed, spent 10 minutes there, and then on to Dublin.

19. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    At least this episode had boobs.

20. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    It looks better than it would be. The Jet lag going back and forth on routes like that would kill you. I did a round the world heading the other way once over a two week period and I was messed up for a couple weeks when I got home.