Pan Am, S1E04, "Eastern Exposure", OAD 10/16/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kaszeta, Oct 17, 2011.

1. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, it's improving a bit, IMHO. They addressed the issue of why the 707 pilots are relatively young (one pulled a favor to get where he's at, the other had the lucky run-in with Juan Trippe). The CIA subplot obviously is going to be the major subplot.

Something I may have missed: why is Kate even doing things for the CIA? Are they paying her? She's taking a lot of risks for little reward here.

And the CGI plane flight graphics continue to get worse. The landing scene was video game bad. And that was one of the worst Manhattan renders I recall ever seeing.

2. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Who knew this episode aired last month.... ;-)

I like that they addressed the age issue finally. I still don't think the pilot union would have allowed it. Seniority rules are pretty hard and fast.

Yep, don't get the risks she takes at all. Way out of proportion for any compensation ( which they haven't discussed).

Yep, CGI still blows.

3. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Damn cut and paste. I'll get the mods to fix.

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Fixed

5. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Thanks.

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I guess I wasn't the only one who thought the two pilots were way too young to have gotten senior positions without calling in favors.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I loved the scene with the space launch (and trying to find the right spot for the signal).

It will be interesting to see what influence the one girl (ricci?) will have on the other now that they are roommates. It seemed like there were others in the apartment.

8. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    The Kai Tak landing seemed a bit off. Would they ever let a two pilots who have never been there before do a landing.

9. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Captain had been there, but only as a FO.

They got Kai-Tak wrong. One flew right AT the checkerboard, and turned at the last minute.

--Carlos V.

10. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Correct, here is a textbook example:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8&feature=related[/media]

11. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Holy crap! I wouldn't want to try that with a Cessna Skyhawk, much less a loaded 747. I hope they have a long runway.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The CIA subplot is major, yet it's nothing more than a series of disconnected missions. And you don't really even know what any individual mission is about.

13. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    [ BEGIN NERD MODE ]

Actually rabbit ears don't work like that. The signal is strongest off the sides of the antennas. They acted like it was a dish antenna you had to point at the source.

You would best leave the thing on its base and rotate it.

With that one, which BTW was likely post 1963, you can use the switch to vary the wavelength and fine tune.

[ END NERD MODE ]

14. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Wouldn't you think they would have more of a handshake protocol than "Some random stranger Asian guy will hand you a camera. He'll tell you to take it to Jakarta where another random stranger Asian guy will grab it."

And they accuse her of blowing cover to an East German spy?

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    you should not have taken off nerd mode.

:)

16. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Hours of fun on youtube. There is a reason why they replaced it.

17. jneugeba

jneugeba Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have spent many hours watching those landings and I think today will call for an encore! Maybe I'll throw some SXM in there as well for good measure!

18. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    SXM is more fun to be at. I stayed at the hotel the road leads to before and sitting at the bar watching jumbo jets land and then watching morons on the fence as they take off is great fun!

19. jneugeba

jneugeba Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Jealous! This is definitely on my bucket list!

20. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    With a piston single it would be fun, but only not so bad in decent weather. I've flown into spots as tight - in the daytime - in good weather - but sometimes uphill - BOTH WAYS.

Of course, us nearly mere mortals have to consult the airport information and approach charts, evidently not so for young handsome teen-heartthrob blonde actor Captains.