Pan Am S1E03 "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" OAD 10/9/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kaszeta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, I'm still watching this after 3 episodes.

Some minor annoyances: the pilot asking Colette about how old she was when the Nazis came was some of the sloppiest foreshadowing I've seen in a while. And most of the music isn't period, it's from much later in the 1960s.

Berlin appeared to be a re-dressed NYC, but they did a decent job of that (putting up a few German-style street signs and the like).

Overall, decent enough that I'm not pulling the plug yet.

2. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Couldn't have looked less like Berlin in 1962 is they had tried. My main authenticity issue is the age of the pilots. A Pan Am 707 captain would have been very senior at that time. These guys are barely the age for regional airlines now.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm nuts for Christina Ricci, but from what I remember about Pan Am -- and I'm old enough to have actually flown on that airline a few times -- there's no way she ever would've been hired as a stewardess. Too short, too intense, too "ethnic." And Random is right about the pilots -- these guys are way too young.

4. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I was never on Pan am though I suspect we're close in age. I don't know about the ethic issue or the intensity issue but for sure she is way too short. I am completely nuts about her anyway.

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'm having a hard time getting into the "cloak and dagger" aspect of the show. I am not really sure if any of the random assignments are really connected or leading anyplace. To make matters worse, this is really the only "story" going on so far. There is not much of anything else. Even the character development isn't so great.

I want to like the show, but I am struggling to find something really good to latch onto. So far, the best I have is the total cuteness of Laura.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's mentioned on IMDB that she's wearing high heels when the rest of the woman are wearing kitten heels since she would not have met the 5'4" height requirement since she's 5'1"

7. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Interestingly, in the even older days (pre-WWII), Ricci would have been ideal, since when they introduced stewardesses, one of the main job requirements was being short and thin, so you could easily maneuver in the fairly cramped spaces. Someplace I remember seeing an old AA recruiting flyer specifically mentioning that they wanted women *under* 5'4" and 118 lbs.

8. Buster

Buster Member

Jul 17, 2002
    For what it's worth, my mother, who is 5'3" on a good day, was a Pan Am stewardess back in the day...she was based out of Hong Kong and Europe though, so maybe the standards were different there?

9. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The actress that plays Collette (Karine Vanasse) in my opinion is absolutely dynamite in this show. She's honestly what keeps me watching. ;)

10. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I'd agree that aside from Christina as eye candy, she really is doing the best job in the role.

11. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    She's decent, but the way-overdone eyelashes are getting old.

Karine Vanasse is actually one of the few actresses I've met in person. I prefer how she looks in real life.

12. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I don't get it with the Ricci love. Her fivehead alone is hard to deal with. Oh, and don't miss this great quote from Ricci about her upcoming bikini scene on Pan Am...
    "Ricci had another problem with the bikini scenes - back acne.

She tells the magazine, "I use (acne cream) Proactiv because the lovely thing about my face now that I'm in my early 30s, I'm ageing, but I'm also dealing with acne, and now - this is disgusting - but I get it on my back. I'm like, 'What am I? A pubescent boy?'"

Don't answer that.

Laura (Margot Robbie) is the reason I keep watching too..no contest.
    [​IMG]

13. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    The eye makeup is weird and not flattering but she has a really pretty face so I live with it. Mostly, she just does a better job of acting than the rest.

14. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    She'd make a good live action Betty Boop.
    [​IMG]

I was wondering who big round head in that 1960s dress reminded me of.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Right. They musta made a decision that they need Teen Beat heartthrobs throughout the cast. Having real 50 year old captains wouldn't yield the right demo for advertisers.

There's no way that the Asian (Indian) navigator would likely even have been in the country in the 1960s, much less on the Pan Am crew.

I like Christina's pretty eyes. They're all easy on the eyes. I just can't buy that Laura and Kate are sisters. Only Kate has the perky pointy upper lip.

Was the payoff supposed to be that JFK himself waved thanks to Maggie for the cigars? He had secured his own huge stash of cigars before he signed the Cuba embargo. In the real world Maggie would get a thank you letter from JFK. We'll see.

Did you think that the german courier really was a East German spy? If so she gave away the whole Pan Am stewardesses are spies plot. Consider that she was left alone in the hotel room.

Didja notice that we haven't seen a single cigarette smoked yet? That ban from the network must have driven the producers nuts.

16. jneugeba

jneugeba Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Agreed - I find her character fascinating!

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I am almost positive that this episode took place in 1963, not 1962. At least that's what I remember seeing during one of the title sequences.

Of the four, I think Christina Ricci is the most unattractive. I think she had really nice eyes, but they don't seem to fit her head all that well, so they look kind of bugged out. I'm more of a fan of the two "sisters" and the dark haired sister looked awesome in that dress near the beginning of the episode.

The show is hanging on by a thread for me right now, but the eye candy is enough at this point to keep me watching.

18. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

Eyes?

Attached Files:

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly!!

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    They found a way around it on Mad Men.

I enjoyed the show but am not into the Spy plot at all.