Padding not being recorded on 20.4.6

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Pejota, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Pejota

Pejota New Member

Sep 5, 2013

Advertisements

Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed a bug with padding tonight.

I set all my OnePasses to record one extra minute at the end of each show. Tonight I had a couple of hour-long shows scheduled to record at 8:00, and 3 shows scheduled to record at 9:00. 2 of the 3 later shows are on the same channels as the earlier 2. Because of the padding, I was expecting 5 tuners to be in use from 9:00-9:01. I happened to be looking at the recording lights on the front of the Roamio, and 5 lights were lit for only a second or two, not the whole minute. I checked the recordings, and the playback bar shows the expected 1:01 length, but the recordings actually end at the one hour mark.

Anyone else notice this? I had the tuners available to cover the padding, but the TiVo didn't even try to tune a second instance of the two channels.

2. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Were these Season/One Passes setup initially prior to the shows being in the guide data? Were they initiLly setup to record All Channels?

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've seen this for several versions. It seems random and I can't figure out what causes it. The play bar will have the full 31 minutes, or 1:01, but the last minute will not have the green filled in.

4. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Well-Known Dismembered Member (Lurk Mode On)

Feb 5, 2011
    Whitewater, WI
    [redacted by nooneuknow]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

I have seen this randomly for quite some time also.

I believe it started when TiVo removed the overlapping recordings being able to use a single tuner.

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I made this post about several minutes clipped from a program for no apparent reason in a short thread titled "New HD UI To-Do list not showing clipped recording indication", which might be related. I have since wondered if incidents like that could result when a conflict causes the scheduler to specify clipping, then the conflict is later resolved by a guide update, but the clipping remains even though it is no longer necessary. Obviously clipping decisions should be made as late as possible.

7. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009
    i have been wondering what was happening with this for a while (before 20.4.6)...now that i think about it it is on shows where i record the same channel after....it seems that instead of using 2 tuners it just starts the next recording on the same one and doesn't record the padding (ie: Flash into Arrow...Flash never has the 1 min pad)

8. WorldBandRadio

WorldBandRadio Active Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I never saw this issue on my Series3/HD, but that may be due to only two tuners available.

A common element I've seen so far for this on my Roamio Pro is that it occurs when at least four tuners are recording. Not all the time when four tuners are recording; but all the times it occurs, four tuners are recording.

I am still trying to track down the other part of the trigger....

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    It's almost like they used the code for scheduling that used the same tuner for recording overlaps, but took out the part that can actually use the same tuner on two recordings.

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Interesting thought. That would be just a quick and dirty fix, which hopefully might indicate that TiVo hasn't given up on re-releasing (fully debugged) the single-tuner overlap which any modern, high-end DVR should have.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Also I have overlap protection turned off, so it's not that.

And it's not necessarily due to overlap at all. I've seen this happen on a few shows in the 9:30-10:00 time slot when I have nothing recording at 10:00, on any channel.

12. Pejota

Pejota New Member

Sep 5, 2013
    On one channel, both shows are set to All Channels. On the other channel, neither show is set to All Channels.

I see by the replies that it's not a new bug. I guess I was just lucky to have never come across or notice it.

13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    As mentioned, lots of people have reported this problem from time to time. Apparently unrelated to this problem is the fact that the channel guide data often has the start or end times offset from the hour by a minute or two, for reasons which I will not speculate here. Sometimes the show start times will match the offset start times and sometimes they don't, it doesn't seem very consistent.

As a consequence I have made my default recording practice to pad one minute on the front and four minutes on the end; it results in the same conflicts as if everything were padded by a minute but now I don't miss anything except when they play football on Sunday, and since I'm in California a game has to go pretty late to be a problem for us here. In either case whether I were to pad for one minute at the end or 1+4 as I actually do I would have to watch for the odd conflict on broadcast networks and deal with it, and that is indeed what I do.

I'm not entirely convinced that TiVo has a problem ignoring one minute padding requests (although I'm not dismissing the idea either), but even if don't, or they do and they fix it, you'd still have to allow for the intentional broadcast stunting if you don't want to miss the beginnings and endings of everything.

14. WorldBandRadio

Dec 20, 2010
    Whoa, methinks that may be significant (or not, to be determined). Most of my "-1 padding" issues have been occurring in that time frame.

Thanks, I'll be looking more closely for that symptom here.

15. WorldBandRadio

Dec 20, 2010
    That has not been an issue for me.

When I've seen the loss of the extra minute, the guide has always shown the correct timings for the start and stop times of the show.

Always.

16. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I created a thread about this problem back in Novemeber.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=522768

From my "testing" it seems padding up to, but not including 5 minutes may be "ignored" despite having a number of free tuners. Well not actually ignored as up until the point it stops recording, all indications are that padding is working.

I never did narrow down what the cause is, though for me this is currently only happening on back to back recordings that are padded, which is one of my 55 1Ps. For months padding was never recording on that recording.

I contacted TiVo support about this in November and they had me do all kind of weird things such as reordering season passes, turning off overlap protection, changing the padding time and the like. With only one show per week having this problem, it made troubleshooting it difficult as I could only test one potential fix per week.

I finally "fixed" the issue by increasing the padding to 5 minutes, waiting for the show to record again and then decreasing it back to 1 minute. This worked until last week when it didn't record the padding again. This was a few weeks after receiving 20.4.6.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Wow there must be some randomness to it then, I have a ton of SPs (now 1Ps) with either 1 or 2 minute padding and they all pad correctly on every recording. And plenty of them record at the same time so multiple tuners are in use (with overlaps).

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've only seen this happen when I have back to back programs scheduled to record on the same channel and they have an overlap. It's never been an issue for me since if the previews from next week happen to be missing I know they will be on the recording for the next show. I think this has been happening ever since they rolled back the feature that tried to use one tuner for two overlapping recordings.

I only have a couple of shows that do this since I rarely have a need to pad a recording. But it has been a consistent thing for the recordings that overlap back to back on the same channel.

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    OK, but I have multiple 1Ps with back-to-back recordings on same channel with 1-minute padding and I've never seen the pad fail. It's not a consistently reproducible bug in other words.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For some reason I see it a lot on Fox. In particular I tend to see it a lot on The Mindy Project, which is on from 9:30-10:00 but I've also seen it on Family Guy and I remember it happened to almost every episode of The Cosmos back when that was on. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it on another channel. All the examples I can think of are Fox shows.