P-I-P question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brad7945, Jan 16, 2006.

1. brad7945

brad7945 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I am about to replace a dozen-year old tv with a 42" DLP. I've noticed limited selection in this size with PIP. I currently have a series 2 Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo, and would like an opinion on whether I really need the PIP feature or not. My reasoning for getting PIP was not for dual channel surfing, but to handle the typcial watch/record simultaneously issue.
    Considering cable splitting will handle this requirement, does anyone have any strong opinions on whether PIP will make this easier, faster, better?

Thanks.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    PIP will have nothing to do with it.

you have the cable feed coming in on the RF cable
    say it is input 1

you have the TiVo feed coming in on component (the SD H400 has that)
    say it is input 3

on the TV remote or TiVo peanut there is a button for TV- input
    you hit it and the input choices ome up on the screen, say it is at input 3
    you hit it again and you go to input 4 which is blank
    you hit it again and you go to input 1 which is cable and live TV and you surf from there.

so all the PIP will do is let you see what is on input 1 and 3 at the same time, which may be a convience you like and use but has no bearing on actual use of the two inputs

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Yeah, PIP is not "watch/record simultaneously" but "watch/watch simultaneously". Most people lose whatever interest they had in that once they get a PVR

4. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    We have a monster set in the bedroom. 35" SD TV (Hard to move, so monster means heavy) and it has multiple inputs and PIP. Since we got TiVo the PIP features are sorta Meh, but the input button on the tivo remote has been invaluable and much easier than throwing the tivo into standby to watch live TV. Last season we routinely had three shows on at the same time and had to watch one live and the others a couple of days later. The input button and the TV that had multiple tuners was great.

5. brad7945

brad7945 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    That simplifies things quite a bit.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I very rarely used PiP on my older SD RPTV because of the smaller picture and it was a distraction with the main screen. However, with my new new 16:9 HD RPTV I do use PiP on occasion. It is when there are two sporting events on that I'd like to keep track of. I actually use the PoP feature where I have two same size screens next to each other. With sports, it isn't that important to keep track of everything, unlike watching "24" or some other show.

And, yes I know that TiVo solves these kinds of problems. But, I don't have an HDTiVo so I watch the better HD shows "live". With my set, even the HD in one of the PoP windows is very good (although it is only the 4:3 middle).

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have 2 Tivos, and a third non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder.. (and some half-dead VCRs).

PIP (as well as the sleep timer) is a feature that I thought would be useless, now I wouldn't get a TV without it.

I use PIP *all the time*.

Yes, I tivo the vast vast majority of the recordings I watch, but I *still* use the PIP all the time.

Things I use PIP for:
    1) to go through the To Do list and/or skim through program listings on the 'other' Tivo while watching (or sometimes mostly listening, if it's in the PIP rather than the main section) something else.
    2) to channel surf in PIP via the TV's tuner. Yes, I know, I record things.. I *still* sometimes want to channel surf, especially if something is happening in the news.
    3) Sometimes I *do* watch something live -- usually it's if I don't have enough tuners to record the shows simultaneously (and/or they overlap). In those cases, I watch something ELSE on the Tivo during commercials and keep track of the original show in PIP.

Basically, I think PIP is a VERY underrated feature in a TV.