OWN, is anyone watching any of the shows on this network?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sadara, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I use the watch Oprah religiously when she still had her talk show. I tried to watch some of the shows on OWN, but most of them suck. I've read some articles about how bad the network is doing and I'm not surprised at all. There is only one show coming up that I'm even interested in and it's called Oprah's Next Chapter. She's hosting it so I figure it's going to be better than every thing else on that network.

Anyway, anyone else watching anything on OWN? If so, is it any good?

2. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    I'm not. My cable company added this to its HD tier recently, so apparently someone is requesting it.

3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I tried to like it, but really just don't. First annoyance is that it's only in SD from my cable co. Second annoyance was that I'd set a show to record and what was aired wasn't what was scheduled.

I watched the Behind the Scenes show of Oprah's last season, and that was interesting. But everything else I tried did not hold my attention. The Judds, Shania, Chaz Bono all could have be entertaining except they took about 2 hours worth of story and stretched it out over several hours by repeating the same scenes over and over again. And the same shows repeat over and over again. Obviously they didn't have enough programming to fill the days.

I tried to watch Rosie when the show first started, and I thought it was awful. Stupid games and Rosie talking over her guests. I've given up on that one, too.

If it ever makes it to HD on my cable co I might give it another try. But haven't given it a look in several weeks.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I can only assume that Oprah's billions and refusal to admit failure are the only things keeping this network on the air.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't even know if I get the channel.

6. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    According to this article, Discovery is picking up the bill.

7. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

(Yes. :eek:)

My husband and I have gotten oddly addicted to Dr. Phil reruns. I also watch Lisa Ling's program, although I totally missed that there was a second season and need to catch that somewhere, as it's quite good.

I'm also intrigued, but haven't watched, the show with the guy traveling who is in the wheelchair. He seems to have a really geeky sense of humor that I think I'd like.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I don't, but I don't anything on Lifetime either.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Lisa Ling is good. I watched the Shania Twain, Dutchess Fergie, the Judds and the one about the daughter and father who won the Oscar for a movie I never watched. Of those three, Shania Twain seemed like the most decent person and her regaining her singing voice was very interesting to me as a singer. Fergie was interesting also and she obviously was not even trying to do the things she would have learned from being on Weight Watchers. I did not like either of the Judds or the father and daughter in the other one but I watched all of the episodes. I watched a show that was shown as a marathon all on one day about a man who teaches surfing in San Diego who has an autistic son. The Rosie show is weeknights in primetime. I would watch it if it was daytime. (maybe a cable time zone problem) I do like the Documentary Club.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I've watched most of the Lisa Ling shows. I watched the Fergie & Judds 'reality' shows. (HATE country music, but there's something about Wynonna that I always liked) I watched some of Oprah's shows that discussed some of her best Oprah Show episodes. I watch most of the Rosie shows. There was a series about several women in prison (forgot the name) that I watched. For some reason I'm always a sucker for prison shows. I've watched some of Oprah's profile shows (also forgot the name - d'oh!).

Those are all that come to mind immediately. I think it is a channel with promise but one year does not a successful channel make, especially when it's on the upper tier of digital channels. While it seems odd, there are a LOT of people who either don't have cable or only have basic, so they wouldn't get channels in this tier.

I know there are many people out there who absolutely hate the fact that Oprah even exists and breathes air, and that's - well, that's whatever it is. But I think that OWN will be successful once they are settled in regardless of that faction.

11. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I did notice last night that OWN is finally in HD in my area. That will improve my viewing chances. I just can't bare SD any more.

I read an article yesterday that said Oprah doesn't like a lot of what is on TV. So, I assume that means she likes watching the shows that are on OWN. If the shows don't improve, it makes me wonder if her TV preferences don't match up with the rest of us.

I did think the Lisa Ling show was good, but I never got around to creating a season pass for it. I might try to catch it on reruns!

12. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I watched the Dr. Berman (?) couples sex help show and wanted to catch the Fergie and Shania ones but I forgot about them and now I'm not even sure we get the channel (we've since moved).

13. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Clearly made a big impression if you can't remember the people, the show or the movie. ;-)

14. FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I've watched Lisa Ling, Sweetie Pies, the behind the scenes of oprah, the doc on the lady in prison in california, the doc about angola state prison in louisiana and dr berman show. Ill probably watch oprah new show though

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I found those people totally forgetable. The father acted like an immature a$$ and the daughter just knew how to push his buttons. Movie was "Paper Moon" The young girl got the Oscar for it.
    I had never even heard of Shania Twain and enjoyed her story.

16. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Tatum and Ryan O'Neal. I watched that one, too. It was very interesting, but another one that would have been a good 2 hour show that was stretched out way too long with the same scenes repeated over and over. Mainly it seemed to be an advertisement for Tatum's new book.

17. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I thought the O'Neal's was good. The Judd's seemed to be also, but I just caught the tail end of it. Looks like they were in meltdown mode and that's always fun. The Shania Twain and Sarah Ferguson shows were extremely boring and I only made it thru because my wife wanted to finish them. Dr. Phil's pretty good, but why watch reruns when you can catch first run stuff on the network? Rosie's show is so bad its easily the worst thing I've watched this year. I did watch Welcome to Sweetie Pie's. I thought it was above average but not sure I would invest in a second season.

All in all, I don't think I'll be making anything on OWN must see TV, unless of course, the boss insists.

18. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    What, do you think Oprah is going to put a person/show on that is better than her? She didn't get rich being stupid. She took a play out of the Martha Stewart Sirius channel playbook.

19. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Ah, Ryan O'Neal and his daughter Tatum. They're both severely dysfunctional. He has messed up all his kids. His son was a drug addict. Tatum is an attention whore. Married and divorce John McEnroe and with no where to make money wrote a book and used this show to pimp it. Very sad.

20. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Didn't he hit on her at Farrah's funeral or something?