Overcoming “hotel” wifi gateway

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AlpacaLips, Apr 3, 2021.

1. AlpacaLips

AlpacaLips New Member

Jan 30, 2014

Advertisements

My mother in law, a Roamio user, just moved in to an apartment in a retirement community. They provide WiFi access only (no Ethernet) to internet service provided by Comcast. The wifi access point has a web page based gateway like a lot of public hotspots use, which I believe is the reason her Tivo can’t use the internet connection. (It can see the network but fails at the “negotiating” step.)

The WiFi signal strength isn’t great but she doesn’t stream content and just needs it for program information.

I’ve attempted to get the Tivo to connect to her cell phone’s personal hotspot but that doesn’t seem to be working either. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Tivo because it connected to her wireless network at her previous home with no difficulty.

I’d appreciate any suggestions for either getting the Tivo to get through the gateway, or perhaps setting up some sort of personal hotspot (via her Mac maybe?) that can provide a connection that the Tivo can use.

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The TiVo offers no way of authenticating through a portal, as you suspect. How often do you need to re-up through this captive portal? Once a day, week, etc?

Easiest solution is to get a travel hotspot - the network will think all devices behind it (including TiVo) are "one" device, so you can answer the captive portal page on your phone and then the TiVo will be allowed through.

I use the > AmazonSmile: TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR902AC) - Support Multiple Modes, WiFi Router/Hotspot/Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Dual Band WiFi, 1 USB 2.0 Port: Computers & Accessories - Assuming it's a small place, that'll work fine. More than 2 rooms might need a real router.

More info > Travel router setup for Hilton hotel - FlyerTalk Forums

CurtJester likes this.
  3. AlpacaLips

AlpacaLips New Member

Jan 30, 2014