Over the air program guide?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kenn159, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Kenn159

Kenn159 New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Hi all

I have a Tivo HD series 3 w/lifetime, and also an older series 2 Toshiba RX-TX20.
    At this point I am paying $35 a month for a phone land-line , of which I don't even use anymore.. The only reason I still have the land-line is because Tivo needs it for program guide information.

Is there another way to get program guide information for the Tivo's, like from an over the air antenna ?

I found out that the "brite View BV980H" does have a over the air program guide.
    link
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dium=organic&utm_source=google_base_03_HD_DVR

Although i am afraid if I buy it, it may have a cheesy program guide like what I have on my channel master cm7000 and my dtv pal converter boxes...

What i want is a program guide as extensive and well thought out as what Tivo has, but will not necessitate the need for a phone land line.

2. Kenn159

Kenn159 New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    If you click on the britewiew DVR link, one of the pics is of the program guide.. the guide looks kinda cheezy to me.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you have a router that you use to get your computers connected? You can use an ethernet cable or the Tivo Wireless G adapter on the Tivos, if you have a wireless router. The HD does have an ethernet port to connect via cable, but the other Tivo needs a ethernet-to-USB adapter for the cable.

When your Tivo, especially the HD, connects to the network and not the phone line, you will also have more features, such as Netflix, youtube, podcasts, etc.

The Brite View is just another DVR but it cannot share its guide with Tivo.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Get your TiVos to use your internet connection, but think of that landline as an insurance policy, said the guy from hurricane country.

See if you can't negotiate a better rate on it, though. Sounds like they're charging for a bunch of stuff you don't need, like maybe long-distance capability, caller ID, whatever. Good luck finding a human with whom to negotiate.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The only place a TiVo is set up to get guide data from is from the TiVo service. While not impossible to feed TiVo other guide data, it is off-topic here, so long as TiVo offers guide data.

FWIW, the TiVo "service" also updates software license keys (what the subscription really is), which only they are entitled to providem. You cannot get them from OTA.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    He He! Negotiate with your local telephone company! That's funny!

I have a choice of Verizon or Frontier for my POTS. I'm on Verizon and paying $27/mo for bare bones service -- no LD other than 800 numbers, and no features like call waiting or caller ID. So I saw the Frontier ads offering the same service for $20/mo and gave them a call. After wasting five minutes I finally learned that the minimum service available in my area costs about the same as what I'm already paying. (What a coincidence! :rolleyes:)

But I failed to try to negotiate with them! (I did point out the rate was no better than I was already paying -- but that didn't seem to sway them.)

If POTS can't lower their rates I think they will go extinct, at least for residential service. I keep it as a safety/redundancy item because I can afford it. If I ever have to go into severe economizing mode, POTS will go and we'll just use our cell phones.

7. Kenn159

Kenn159 New Member

Nov 15, 2007

thanks for the info, but at this point, I get my computer connection from tethering it to my cell phone.. i don't have a wireless network.

Since my computer is online via a tethered cell phone.. is there a way i can hook either Tivo's to my computer?

I'm guessing I could use the "ethernet-to-USB adapter" as you mentioned from the series 2 Tivo, to the USB or Ethernet connection on my computer?

I have never done this, so i am just guessing here?

8. Kenn159

Kenn159 New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Its not worth it for me to pay $35 month for a phone line i never use..And the $35 is the basic rate after the phone company adds their multitude of hidden fees.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I pay $35 just for the DSL alone.

Who is your provider of your landline? Some providers, like AT&T can provide DSL service without a phone service, but it would be at a slightly higher rate than if it was with phone service. Then you can connect all your Tivos, computers, etc. using a single router and DSL internet service.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes you can go through your computer to use the telephone's data connection.

It is a pain to have do it all the time though.

11. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    FWIW: TiVo DVRs require connecting to the TiVo database for periodic service updates not just to get daily guide data.