Output resolution and video artifacts

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by grinny, Jan 31, 2012.

1. grinny

grinny New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    The only post I saw on this topic is on a Series3 thread and is from 2006, so I thought it might be worth reviving, since it practically saved my marriage. ;)

I recently got a Premiere and LED TV at the same time. Mistake! Too many variables coming from an SD setup. The first thing I noticed was that some shows (most notably, Modern Family) were now unwatchable. They were jerky, had bad judders, and sometimes the video got "bogged down" and skipped frames in a reproducible way. Steady-cam shows (like Modern Family) were the worst.

At first I thought it was the LED TV (should have got plasma!), since the problem went away in the TV's Game Mode, but this made overall video quality bad.

But eventually after some online digging (avsforum) I found out it was the Tivo. The default Tivo setting is to output all videos at 1080i. However, some networks broadcast at 720p, which means the Tivo was throwing frames away when scaling to 1080i, which then the LED TV was trying to interpolate back with its 120Hz and dejudder technology, with sometimes horrible results. Basically the Tivo and TV were confusing each other. The solution was to let the Tivo output at 720p or 1080i.

I realize some older HDTVs have an unacceptable lag time when changing input formats, so this might not apply to everybody.

Side note: another thing I noticed (but am not certain about) is when I use my cable box to watch TV instead of the Tivo (I have a Comcast box hooked up for OnDemand), the Comcast box seems to always output to 720p, even when my Tivo shows the show was broadcast at 1080i. Another reason to have a Tivo.

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    That sounds odd... I have a LED TV with 240hz and my TV does smooth out the images to make it more "film like" but i have never had those issues with my Tivo and no matter the res....