Outlander on Starz

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by eddyj, Jul 31, 2014.

1. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    My wife is a big Outlander fan, and of course, she wants to watch the Outlander series that is starting on Starz in August.

However, I am resistant to paying $13/month for Starz, just to watch one weekly show.

Does anyone know if this will be available elsewhere (Amazon, iTunes, etc)?

Yeah, I know I can get it by alternate magical means, but I am trying to do this legally first.

2. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    We have the same story here. My wife has read all the books and is very excited to see the show. We're not sure if we want to pay the $13 a month for Starz either.

Not to get too philosophical, but isn't this what we've (the royal "we") always wanted? Only buy the channels that have the shows you want to watch on them? And it's awesome feedback for Starz as to whether people like Outlander, which should result in it running longer and more shows like it showing up. But given the classic example of what I've wanted all along, I still can't immediately convince myself to buy Starz. :(

3. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Except it is not. I'd be happy to pay a couple of bucks for Starz. But I can only get it as part of a package of a dozen channels or so, for $14/month.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Starz isn't all that bad. I think I may have watched the same number or more of Starz's original series than HBO's original series in the last two years.

5. pendragn

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    To me it comes down to price, not the package. If you got that same package of a dozen channels for $4 a month instead of $14 would it be different? For me it would. So the question boils down to, "is Outlander worth $14 a month to me?" Right now that's on the bubble for us.

6. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Subscribe to Starz only in the months Outlander is on. $14/mo. = $3.50 per episode, plus you might discover other things on Starz you'll watch.

Greg

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Call and ask your service provider if they have any of those "free for 3 months" deals for Starz going on.

8. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Plus, if you get Starz Ond Demand, go back and watch some of their other shows like Da Vinci Demons, Spartacus, etc...

Don't steal the show please. :)

9. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    This is good advice.

If you currently have premium channels, call to cancel those channels. Whenever I do this, they offer me some kind of deal. Maybe they'll give you Starz and Showtime for one price for 3 months or something. Then you'll have even more shows to catch up on.

10. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I've had free Starz in the past, and never watched any of it. And with no premium channels at all, I have little leverage, but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

But I am really hoping the episodes will be available for purchase on Amazon/iTunes.

11. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think any of these premium channels put up shows they produce for purchase on iTunes/Amazon right away. Maybe they will end up there in a couple months. I think HBO waits like a year or something. "Power" is a Starz show that is currently airing. I just checked iTunes on my phone and didn't find it for sale.

They produce these shows to get people to subscribe. I'm sure Comcast and DirecTV don't want(allow) them to put them up for sale right away either. They want people subscribing too. It's just the way things work for now.

12. Archangel00

Archangel00 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Gulf Coast
    They almost always have "catch up" marathons so wait until nearly the season finale, look for that, and order it then. Can't imagine you can "legally" get the whole series any cheaper than $14 any sooner than that.

13. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    This. You should call your service provider and threaten to quit every 9-12 months anyway, just so you can get the best deal possible.

14. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Not sure the wife is willing to wait, or risk missing it.

15. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I get Starz. My SP is set! I could swear they show stuff on another channel, too - like a sister channel. But I can't remember...

Encore! That's it. Do you get Encore?

16. pendragn

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I talked myself into it. We just ordered Starz.

17. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, I think I might have to bite the bullet.

18. moedaman

moedaman Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Before we received HBO & Starz as a part of our package deal, we would sub to HBO for only a month so we could catch up with Game Of Thrones. On Demand and streaming apps mean you only need to sub a few times a year to any premium channel suite.

19. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Eddy, I was 'resistant' also. However I was NOT not NOT going to miss this.

I ordered Starz and only have to pay an extra $10 a month.

What I have found is that it is worth it, not just for Outlander but for other movies that are on. I finally got to watch Frozen. Captain Phillips, and at least 3 others that I hadn't seen in big theatres (because I don't go there anymore). For me Starz has at least broken even on cost vs pleasure.

Once your throw Jamie Fraser in there - it will be well worth it!!

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    She won't be.

Also, if you added it today, they are showing episode 1 via STARZ online TOMORROW!!!!

So, go, go get it now!!

A great clip -

http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander/s1/e101