out of USB ports

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dougsc, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dougsc

dougsc New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I have to install some sort of cable adapter because my provider switched something and now I can't get some of the HD channels.

Problem is, I've already got a network adapter in one USB port and an external storage device in the other one. Can I use a USB hub or something?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I am not aware of any method to add a USB hard drive storage to your TiVo. You might have it plugged in for power, but your TiVo isn't using that hard drive to record programming.

If you have a Series 3 or Series 4 machine, the external drive is supposed to be plugged into the eSATA port only, not the USB port. If you have both the eSATA cable and the USB cable plugged into the TiVo, the USB cable is not needed and not used.

I suggest unplugging the hard drive and plugging the Switched Digital Video adapter (SDV or that thing you got from your cable company) into that port.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    As far as I know, the only USB supported devices are:
    • wifi adapter,
    • slide remote (or other off the shelf wireless keyboard),
    • tuning adapter (for SDV), and
    • USB hub.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While this isn't relevant to the OP, there is one error on the posted site: On a TiVo 2, wired Ethernet adapters are also supported.

6. rassi

rassi Member

Jul 18, 2003
    NE Ohio
    We currently have the TiVo WiFi adapter, and a Digital Tuning adapter (required of our Time Warner cable).

Just got one of the TiVo slide remotes on sale...

Now I don't have anywhere to plug it in.

What now????

7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Get a USB hub.

8. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You'll need a USB hub... Look here...

Alternately you could ditch the wifi adaptor and use a wireless bridge connecting to your LAN jack. Either way $$$

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You could always run cable and switch to wired ethernet.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    But according to the post by the OP, they should have an open USB port, they've never come back and updated us as to why/how they have a USB port used by a storage device that can't use it.

11. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    It could be that his eSata drive is using usb for power for I know that I have one of those at work that does not have an ac power adapter and it requires a usb port to power the eSata drive.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    In that case, just get a USB power supply for the drive.

13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I was wondering about this as well. Our TivoHD is in an upstairs room and it's not possible to run ethernet cable there, so it uses the Wifi adapter in one USB port and the Slide Remote dongle in the other USB port. This box will soon be needing a Tuning Adapter, so I guess I have to look into getting a USB hub.

UPDATE: After looking at the only USB Hub that the TivoHD supports (BELKIN F5U021vSN USB 1.1 4-Port Hub), I discover it has to be plugged into an electrical outlet. So I go from only my TV and TivoHD needing an outlet, to now a Tuning Adapter and USB Hub. Why can't just a simple USB splitter work? The energy drain keeps getting higher, damn technology!

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Okay so according to Tivo's product page there are two USB Hubs that work with the Tivo HD. Yet according to the Tivo Hub support page and the Chat Support, only one USB Hub works. What the heck?

I had an old Targus 4 port USB Hub laying around and tried it on my Tivo HD, it didn't work. Why is Tivo so limited on which USB Hubs work? Not really looking forward to spending $30 on Hub because the Tivo box doesn't have enough ports! If you have a Tivo Wireless Network Adapter, Slide Remote and Tuning Adapter you are pretty much screwed.

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Jamie's backported drivers might work. Why don't you hop over to the "other" TiVo website and ask him?

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's why it won't work, or partly so. Each of those devices uses power, and the TiVo's power supply is not overly large. Speaking more generally, though, it is not wise to try to power multiple units from a single USB port, unless that port is designed to deliver more power than is the norm. That's why multi-port hubs are usually powered. IIRC, I think the TiVo USB ports can deliver a maximum of 500ma.

17. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I remembered that I had a couple Monster PowerNet 200's packed away, so I got them out and solved my problem.

I did have to pull back some carpet to run an ethernet cable from the Tivo to the PowerNet and then from the cable modem to another PowerNet, because of electrical outlet location limitations, but it worked out fine. I never thought using my home electrical wiring as a pathway for ethernet would work this well.

UPDATE: Now the room's touch lamps won't work because of the PowerNet's. Apparently the signals in the outlets for that room effect the touch switch ability. Plugging the touch lamps into a surge protector power strip seems to have cured this issue.