Out of sync

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ronnieko, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ronnieko

ronnieko Member

Oct 27, 2004

Advertisements

Tivo's 2 Go works fine, BUT, it gets a bit out of sync as the video goes on, and gets worse...
    Am I the only one having this prob?

2. ixion

ixion New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I just got Tivo2Go installed and transfered a few files and they all are out of sync. The audio is ahead of the video for me.

3. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I would imagine this is a codec problem. Try installing a different one.

free one... but legal? I dunno
    Coke2K

pay one (but free trial)
    Nvidia

4. ronnieko

ronnieko Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Cole2k Media did the trick. Working GREAT now

5. EdTivo

EdTivo New Member

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

Hello,

When you say you the coke2k codec solved the problem... how does Tivo2go know to use that codec instead of the one you were using before ?

How did you install it ?

Thanks,

Ed

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    You install it by downloading it and running its installation program (double-clicking on the .exe file).

Codecs get "merit" values assigned to them. The one with the highest merit is the one used when Windows requests a codec. You may have a whole bunch of codecs on your machine, but the one with the highest merit is the one used. (At least that is my layman's understanding of it).

This program can help with determining which is currently your default (and changing the default)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ac-0ab6-4990-943d-627e6ade9fcb&DisplayLang=en

There are other programs that will allow you to fiddle with the actual merit values, but they can be "dangerous" to use, so be careful.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/RadLight_Filter_Manager.htm

7. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I have noticed that all TiVo recordings report an audio offset vs the video of up to 200ms or so. Each recording has a different offset.

I bet some codecs take this into account better than others.

8. jasona6228

jasona6228 New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    I've noticed that when I play something directly from TiVo2Go, when Media Player first opens, I see a "error downloading codec" message in the Media Player status bar - even with the Cole2K codec installed.

Obviously there is something that isn't right with the default installation of TiVo2Go - it should play these automatically, without problems. If it's programmed correctly, that is. Since it doesn't work, there's obviously a patch required.

Where does TiVo stand on this?

9. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    My system doesn't do that, but I have seen it do that on others. Codecs on Windows is a mess!

As you state, WMP doesn't play them automatically either. So are you saying it isn't programmed correctly as well? (Don't answer that! :D)

.tivo files are just wrapped MPEG-2 files. When you install a fresh copy of Windows it does not come with an MPEG-2 codec. They cost money. If Cole2K isn't working right, you can roll the dice and try one of the pay ones (Nvidia's comes to mind).

Tivo's stand has always been buy X,Y, or Z codec. Lots of people don't want to spend any money so they download things like Cole2K (which is probably illegal somehow). BTW, buying a codec is no gaurantee either.

I hear the new TivoDesktop 2.3 Plus version comes with its own codec. (Guess what, the plus version costs $$$ :rolleyes: ). But, I've read that the Tivo directshow thingamajigy knows to call it first. This elimanates most of this codec mess. YMMV.