OUT OF MEMORY error in web video interface

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rattlebone, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 85
    rattlebone

rattlebone New Member

Apr 16, 2010

Advertisements

If I select web videos and browse the web videos interface I soon get and error "OUT OF MEMORY". I am then put back into the prior menu and have to start over. Tivo is v14.4

Anyone else have this annoying bug with the Tivo premiere?

At least this is the only Tivo premiere issue I have.

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 85
    Goldwing2001

Goldwing2001 Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    FYI.....This has happened to me a couple of times. It seems to happen when I select "all" videos and while paging down thru the selections, I get the error just about at the end of selection listing.

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 85
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe someone else had a similar issue but was also using Framchannel. Are you using frame channel?

4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 85
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I've had this issue also, I also have Frame channel enabled. I'm on 14.5K. I can trigger it if I try to browse all web videos, if I subset to a category it does not happen. However once I trigger it, if I switch to browse only a category, it still runs out of memory quickly. I waited a couple of days and the problem went away.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #5 of 85
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove Frame Channel once it's activated :( I can't test the hypothese that Frame Channel is causing this error.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 85
    rattlebone

rattlebone New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Yes, I am using framechannel

however, I believe the issue was happening before I had frame channel
    I get OUT OF MEMORY with any version of browsing videos. I do not use the option All Videos

This just appears to be a Tivo bug

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 85
    rattlebone

rattlebone New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    If you log into framechannel website you can deactivate the TIVO from frame channel

http://www.framechannel.com/mydevices/

when I get home I verify framechannel is deactivated
    then see if OUT OF MEMORY errors stop

I doubt it :mad:

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 85
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The reason I think it is Frame Channel is I don't think I have seen anyone else have this issue except for those with Frame Channel running.

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 85
    Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    No...I'm not using frame channel.

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Then you may want to send an email to Margret at tivo.com.

11. Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    TiVo support told me it's a known issue. They are working on it.

12. eshank

eshank New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I am experiencing the same problem, but it just started today. I have happily been running Netflix videos for two weeks without any trouble, but today, I keep getting the "out of memory" error and cannot scroll through my Instant Queue without instantly being booted back to the main menu.

I spoke to a service rep who said "maybe one of the RAM sticks is bad" and has issued an exchange. Expecting another box to arrive in 3-4 business days. Will keep you posted.

@Goldwing2001: Please provide a little more detail regarding your conversation with the service rep who said "this is a known issue."

Thanks!

13. rattlebone

rattlebone New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    disabling Frame Channel does not solve this bug

:mad:

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Web videos is an HME app. The error is most likely coming from the remote system where the app is running, not from the TiVo. (FrameChannel, a completely separate HME app, would not be relevant.)

15. Daniel Skeen

Daniel Skeen New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    YouTube == CRASH

16. soulcamp

soulcamp New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I am having the same problem when accessing NetFlix or YouTube. Scrolling through the list of video causes a "Can't Run - Out of Memory" error to occur. After spending several hours with TiVo over the phone today trying to resolve this, I was told that it may be a bad RAM stick and that my only option is to replace my TiVo unit (losing the last 6 months of recorded programming). I call bullsheeet. According to the TiVo customer service rep, they have no diagnostic for testing RAM.

I am very interested in hearing if anyone else gets this resolved. I am not happy about the notion of losing some 800GB of recorded programming.

17. eshank

eshank New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I did receive another Tivo Premiere box, and it came to me with service update 14.4 installed. Netflix worked great. Then yesterday, I received the 14.5 system update, and within 30 minutes, the same Netflix issues started to appear. Unless I am miraculously unlucky and received TWO Tivo boxes with "bad RAM sticks", I am certain that this is a software issue that only started to be a problem when update 14.5 took hold.

Recommend that you e-mail Margret@tivo.com. I am currently in communication with her about this issue and she sounds like she knows what to do. I haven't resolved the issue yet, but if it pans out, I'll record the results here.

18. sm8680

sm8680 New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    This out of memory issue only started occuring for me after the 14.5 update. I never had the issue before and I tend to browse all web videos quite frequently.

19. eshank

eshank New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    E-mail margret@tivo.com and tell her that. As you can see above, I am having the same problem. She took down all of my information and passed it on to the Tivo engineers. It sounds to me like this is a common problem!

20. fareal

fareal Member

Feb 16, 2004
    So Cal
    Experienced my first "out of memory" error today while paging down my list of 250 items in NetFlix watch instant queue. I rebooted the TiVo and I'm still seeing the issue. 14.5 version. Hadn't seen this error until this software version.