1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Home TV streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mblairocc, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jul 3, 2018 #1 of 14
    Mblairocc

Mblairocc New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    i have contacted TiVo customer support to find out how to stream TV shows on my iPad when I am out of town several times. The TiVo app seems to only work when I am connected to my home WiFi. Otherwise, I receive an error message on the app on an outside WiFi system even though it shows the current channels in the guide. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jul 3, 2018 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model Tivo DVR? How are they connected?

3. Jul 3, 2018 #3 of 14
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Apple restricts the streaming to being in a WiFi network. If you are in a WiFi network outside your home, like a hotel or bar with WiFi, it should stream.

4. Jul 3, 2018 #4 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Huh? You have to SET IT UP on your home WiFi..

Then, IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, it will work outside the home.. or rather, it's supposed to.. Except for copy protected programs _I THINK_.

I say "IF IT WORKS FOR YOU", because it basically doesn't work for me... for some others, it works well.. But I can't stream or download shows reliably, even at home.. It stops after a few minutes _at most_ most of the time... and even if I get a "successful" download after a zillion tries, the recording will often HANG in the middle and I can't watch it at all from then on.. It's bad enough that I signed up for Hulu without commercials, mostly to use at the gym.. (but since I have it, I use it at home too, for the shows it has that I was already recording.)

5. Jul 4, 2018 #5 of 14
    Mblairocc

Mblairocc New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    It is a TiVo Bolt Vox. It’s connected at home via a wireless signal.

6. Jul 4, 2018 #6 of 14
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to get it connected by Ethernet or MoCa (ethernet over coax) to be able to stream.

7. Jul 4, 2018 #7 of 14
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I can stream my parent's Bolt [off network] that's connected via WiFi using TiVo Android App or TiVo Online website.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. Jul 4, 2018 #8 of 14
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Did you set up "out-of-home streaming" in the App?

Go to settings / streaming / start setup.

(Apple app may be different)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2018 #9 of 14
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What is your Internet upload speed? I’d also review any router port forwarding requirements.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've never had much luck with OOH streaming with either the Android or iOS apps. Just yesterday as an example I tried the Android app at lunch time to watch a soccer match. It worked for maybe a minute and then no longer. Switched over to Slingbox (which uses my Mini at home as the source) and was able to stream the rest of the match from then on without any problems - and this was over T-Mobile data connection, not WiFi. Slingbox has always been the much more reliable means for me every time I've tried OOH streaming.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Just streamed in my iPhone at Bob Evans. Works if I am connected to their WiFi but not when I connect via LTE. That is an Apple restriction.

You first have to set it up at home.

12. bklinc

bklinc Member

Aug 21, 2013
    PA, TX
    I can stream from my Android cell phone and my Windows (10) laptop, but so far have not been able to stream from an older iPad.

13. Jmiles42

Jmiles42 New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    out of home streaming using a roamio and an ipad, properly set up at home, on a wifi network while out of home, simply does not work. Multiple contacts with Tivo support get me lame help that attempt the same thing (to update the loads on the tivo box and to remove and reload the app....). The organization is entirely failing. Made the mistake earlier this week of updating to the new experience and thankfully was able to downgrade.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Out of home network setup need to be setup while on the home network Before going out of home.