Out of home streaming -- watching live TV without recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by the block, May 17, 2016.

1. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    So it seems the only way to watch live TV with out of home streaming is to start recording the channel first. I don't want to do that, I just want to watch what's coming through on that tuner. I want to be able to channel surf if I so please. I also don't want to have to worry about stopping and deleting recordings when I am done. Basically, I want the functionality of the Slingbox, but through the Tivo app. I have a Slingbox, and it seems like an unnecessary middle man for some very basic functionality. Is what I want possible? Thanks

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Nope, that's how it works. In order to stream (OOH or in-home) the show has to be a recording (in-progress, or completed).

3. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. It makes no sense to me, especially for being such a basic feature. Anyways, thanks for the response.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You need to use sling for live or if you have cable, there are some channels for most cable systems that have live OTT feeds either via the channels app or via the cable system app. Those are limited.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yeah, the mobile app is not really meant for channel surfing.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No streaming apps really are. Not even sling. The handshake takes some time.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    I have a Slingbox used with an OTA antenna and a Satellite box. Switching channels isn't bad, longer than sitting at home but not terrible.

8. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    In order to stream your video has to be transcoded to mp4 (h.264 encoded) and the bit rate reduced. It kind of makes sense that tivo needs to stream from a recorded (or recording) show. Kind of makes sense recording the show makes buffering easier to implement. Maybe some of the Comcast channels would comply but setting up an app to identify channels which can be directly streamed, and stream them, is probably more trouble then its worth. The app automatically starts recording when you request a live channel. The app asks if you want to delete the recording after you finish. PP is right, app isn't really designed for channel surfing, although it works better then you think.

Mini gives you close to full tivo functionality. Mini requires an Ethernet or MoCA connection.