Out of Home Access

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dugan54, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Dugan54

Dugan54 New Member

Jul 19, 2012

Advertisements

New Tivo user... Just got a bolt and a Roamio. Just wondering if Tivo has any plans to allow out of home access?

Thank You

Dugan

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Define what you mean by out of home access. TiVo has several out of home access abilities but it may not be what you are asking for.
    1. They have access via a web browser: https://online.tivo.com/
    2. They also have access available via Android & iOS apps
    There are various functions available via the above depending on your equipment. I think at the moment out of home streaming is not available yet via the Bolt and the Roamio requires a stand alone stream (or Roamio Plus/Pro) on the same account to stream at all.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Bolt's out-of-home streaming is not available yet. There's some reason to believe it'll happen sooner rather than later (earlier part of 2016).

If you have a 4-tuner Roamio it may eventually be able to use the Bolt's OOH transcoding once it becomes available as well.

4. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Is this considered a Sling-box type stream, or is it limited to certain channels/apps?

5. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

Similar but there are significant differences. Many of which are caused by the fact that TiVo has to comply with cable card requirements and Sling-box does not.

With Sling-box you are streaming what ever you are playing on your STB so the STB is tied up, with TIVo streaming does not work like that. TiVo's execution of out of home streaming and downloading to a device is still in flux and we do expect it to change.

I do not have good enough upstream Internet (mine is less than 1Mbps) so I have not use out of home streaming first hand so I am going to leave where the current state of out of home streaming via web browsers, Android, & iOS devices and downloading recorded content is to others.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Bolt streams fine in home to Android/iOS/web browsers and can not steam content from either a Premiere or Roamio. However I am not aware if TiVo has said anything about this or not so I guess there always is a chance but I wouldn't expect it.

7. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    It's pretty easy to configure kmttg to access all Tivos s3 and on. That's not live streaming but you can get at the shows.

With a properly set up s3 or HD you can get everything via kmttg but on less capable, more recent models you're limited to OTA and what the cable provider allows out of the goodness of their heart.

EDITED TO ADD: In response to an inquiry: obviously I'm talking about "configure kmttg" for out of home access, as the OP inquired. I don't see how my response is not relevant.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have to ask, since you can stream just about everything direct from the provider these days, why is OOH so important? When I travel, I simply use HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. It's a lot cheaper than a Roamio Pro or Tivo Stream box, and a lot better quality given my terrible upload speed.

9. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Out of home streaming is just one of a bundle of features that TiVo has packaged into one product. Most of use don't use or want some of these features. In general I also have little use for streaming from home to where ever, even if my upload speeds where ok. I might have more use for downloading so as to not have to rely on WiFi or use up limited 4G data when traveling. But my guess is some people want "live" shows (news - sports) others want stuff they have recorded and want to be able use fast forward or 30 second skip etc.

The reality is we are in a transition from traditional broadcast TV (cable/OTA) to some form of on demand streaming and TiVo is providing a niche transition product via the Bolt & Roamio line for those of us who have one foot in the old world (cable/OTA) and the other foot in the new world (on demand streaming via Netflix, Amazon, etc.).

We pay a premium for this and it comes with limitations. Most people are unwilling to pay the price and/or deal with the limitations and will be happier with a solution only targeted at the portion of what TiVo is doing that they want.

10. MgoBlue65

MgoBlue65 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Why is OOH streaming so important, let's see; football (pro/college), hockey, baseball etc...you get the point. None of which are available on ANY service you mentioned.

I can stream most (but not all) channels on my DirecTV iOS app including ESPN OOH (wifi on the iPad and LTE on my unlimited iPhone). The nice thing with this setup is it doesn't use my internet or receiver and pulls from the DTV servers as opposed to from the box directly like TiVO.

I just bought a Roamio Pro and hope to have cable installed on Tuesday so I can fully try out the streaming capabilities to see how it compares to DTV, including the ability to stream the major networks.

11. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    This is an ad trap but if you step carefully through the cow patties you can get some live sports:

http://www.drakulastream.eu/

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, much of it is. Anything ESPN has is available if you have a cable or satellite log on for almost every provider( and usually includes games not on ESPN). If you have access to BTN at home, you can stream big ten games. Same with pac 12. MLB has a package (may have home teams in 2016) as do the NFL, the nba and the nhl.

There are even games on the nbc sports app. In reality, there is little sports you cannot stream any more. Some had a charge associated but a lot does not.

And I am not so sure about pulling from the directv box even in house. I think that is only for recorded programming. If you stream ESPN via the app, you are using Internet.

13. MgoBlue65

MgoBlue65 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    True, just none of the services he mentioned. The fact the the sports channels aren't all legally available A la carte is why I won't be a cord cutter, you must have a satellite (or in the case of a TiVO user, cable), OTA won't cut it. The ability to stream EVERY channel you get from your service (not just sports) in one app is the goal and now I'd like that to be via the TiVO iOS app.

Correct, the receiver is not used when using the DTV streaming app.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I saw the conversation as being centered around using a TiVo and using it as a sling player. When the concept of the sports you can get on it, that would include for most people a cable or satellite subscription.