OTW's steps to installing TiVo Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Kerry, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002

Advertisements

OTW's steps to installing TiVo Premier

Here's my questions to OTW (Hilo) and their reply. It might be of value to others contemplating turning in their cable box and getting TiVO Premiere. Except for not answering question #6 it's a thorough reply.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
    Aloha,
    I'm getting ready to replace my 5-yr-old AT&T Series II TiVO with a TiVO Premier XL. The forums are rife with misinformation so I'm writing to make sure that once I buy it I don't discover that I'll lose some features, or some channels, or that it won't work with OTWC. (I'm not interested in Movies On Demand or any Interactive features)

Here are 6 questions:

1) My understanding is that the TiVO Premier XL requires two M-Cards. Does OTWC have the M-Cards in the Hilo office?

2) If OTWC doesn't have any M-Cards on hand how long would it take them to get two for me?

3) Some poster's on the TiVO Community forum wrote that their cable company allowed them to pick up the two M-Cards from their local TWC store and install the M-Cards themselves. There's written install/configuration instructions on the web. Can I pick up the cards and install them myself?

4) Will I loose any channels if I turn in my Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC cable box? I have Surf Pak Xtra that includes standard TV and Digital Variety. Many of the channels I have are HD; several appear to be digital only. I do understand that I'll lose my present package-discount which will result in an increase in my monthly fee.

5) I've been told that OTWC provides a free Tuning Adapter. Is this true?

6) Do you know of anyone who is using the TiVO Premier XL with OTWC?

Kerrith H. (Kerry) King
    Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC cable box
    Account # XXXXXXX

Aloha Kerry!

Thank you for your inquiry.

Tuning Adapters and CableCARDS for TiVO and Moxi DVRs are available now.
    These devices are only required if you wish to add any premium services.
    To schedule an installation appointment please provide the following
    information (self installation is not available--the cable cards and tuning adapters are not available in the office):
    Last 4 digits of SSN for identification
    Is this for a Tivo or Moxi DVR:
    How many Tivo or Moxi DVRs?:
    Model # of DVRs:
    What Services would you like to add (please refer to attached brochure):
    Dates/Times you can be home for the installation appointment:

The Tuning Adapter will allow you to subscribe to many of our advanced channels, such as HD Entertainment Pak, Encore, Sports Pak, and Starz; however, our Interactive channels & services; such as Pay-Per-View, On Demand, (Caller ID on TV) & Start Over are not compatible with the Tuning Adapter, and would require a digital box.

At this time, there is no monthly charge for the tuning adapter; however, there is a one-time installation fee of $43 to install the cable card(s) and tuning adapter.

Please be advised; the night before your appointment, your TiVo must be set up, and connected to your TV and to the Internet. After it's connected, you must run the Guided Setup to ensure your software is up-to-date. If this is not done, we will not be able to complete the installation and your appointment will need to be rescheduled.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again or contact our Customer Care Department at 643-210O for assistance. When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as all previous correspondence regarding this issue.

Sincerely,
    Oceanic Time Warner Cable

Any member here have more info?

Thanks,

Kerry

2. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009
    the premiere does not use/need/or is even capable of using 2 m-cards

3. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    It uses one M-Card if you wish to subscribe to encrypted services or wish guide data for local HD channels which are not encrypted.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Surprising to see a cable co that actually understands and knows the process of setting up a Tivo.

5. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006

Advertisements

Yes it is. My experiences have been nothing short of comical. A little over two years ago I called Verizon to install cable cards in my S3 and HD Tivo. Took multiple calls of being bounced around between departments before finally finding someone who actually knew what a cable card was and could schedule the install. The guy shows up with the cards, and after trying futilely for over an hour to get them work, he finally calls his supervisor. He had never installed cable cards before and it turned out the cards he brought only worked in Maryland (I live in Va).

Recently purchased two Premieres, so I needed the M-Cards. Call Verizon - get billing, they bounce me to Fiber Solutions - who bounces me back to billing -then back to Fiber Solutions. After four bounces and about to be a 5th, I stop the guy from transferring me, and he finally gets the order in. Before he completes the ticket, I remind him to make sure he puts on the ticket install 3 M-Cards, pick up 4 S-Cards. He say the tech will know that - I tell him I don't care I want it on the ticket. So he does. Amazingly, guy shows up installs them with no hickup, but almost forgot the S-Cards - I hand them to him and he goes on his merry way.

Check my on-line account 2 weeks later, and notice I'm now shown as having 7 cards - the S-Cards showing as active on my account. I e-mail Verizon - response yes we still show you as having 7 cards and you will need to call billing. Call billing - lady totally confused and keeps putting me on hold then finally gives up and tells me it takes two billing cycles for my bill to be update. I argued but she wasn't budging. I hang up - call back. Explain the situation to another CSR, who puts me on hold - and another agent answers and starts to ask me what problem I'm having with my phone. Now I'm confused. I had been transferred to Copper Cable. So...I'm put on hold and nothing happens for like 10 mins. I hang up and finally get to someone who knows what I'm talking about - but can't fix it. She puts in a trouble ticket and tells me I should be contacted in the next day or so. I'm still waiting and 7 cards still show on my account.

The next time anyone wants to grip about Tivo customer service, share my story - by comparison Tivo is outstanding.

6. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hi Am_I_Evil, Thanks for the M-Card correction. I don't recall where I got that info.

Kerry

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You had to be thinking of the original Series 3, which can only use CableCards in single-stream mode, even if they're multi-stream cards. But AFAIK, there's no device anywhere that actually requires two multi-stream cards; a single multi-stream card can handle six streams.

BTW, to say that the forums are full of misinformation, and to expect better info from the cable company, is completely backwards to me.

8. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hi wmcbrine,

Thanks.

I have found our OCTW staff here in Hilo reliable and knowledgeable.

You're right, the word "misinformation" was inaccurate, I should have said sometimes confusing.

Kerry