Other uses for $85 premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rololobo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. rololobo

rololobo New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Long story short, I bought a Premiere for $85 and am not going to sign up to a 1 year contract at $19.99/ month. So, what other options do I have for that box. I am thinking about:

1) returning and losing shipping and restocking
    2) pulling the hd and adding it to my tivo hd
    3) connecting it to the network just to transer and store recordings from the tivo HD box

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You won't be doing #3 if you're not getting the service...

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    1) Depending on the restocking fee and shipping costs, probably your best deal.
    2) Could buy at 320GB harddrive cheaper than $85 (but shipping return fees reduce that prices as they would already be lost). Remember you will have to re-image the drive to the TivoHD's software as well.
    3) You need service to do this. Network features only work with service.

4) Maybe try selling it? Depending on the shipping/restocking fee selling it locally might be worthwhile...?

Good luck.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    1) Door stop

2) Ballast for hot air balloon

3) Target practice

4) Dual-LED night light

In all seriousness though you could keep it for spare parts and buy yourself a lifetime (or other plan) Tivo by other means. $85 is a pretty good deal for a spare power supply and a drive with Tivo image already on it. As far as just ripping out the hard drive and using it in your computer, that sounds wasteful. You can buy much better hard drives elsewhere for the money.

Also, you can wait until the supposed "holiday deal" has gone away and see if you can activate it by other means. One would think some subscription is better for Tivo than no subscription.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Now that you already own it, none of the options you are considering make sense to me. I would just keep it for parts but of course I would never have purchased it in the first place if I wasn't going to subscribe it.

6. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't believe there will be any way to subscribe it at anything other than the required terms until at least all existing complying subscribers are no longer committed to that deal, maybe never. Of course there are the few that somehow slip through the cracks.

7. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Why don't you just get somebody here to email you a copy of their pre-11/14 6ave invoice? Next chat online with TiVo and ask for pre-11/14 pricing (i.e. $299 lifetime, etc.). The CSR will ask for proof. Send them the invoice and say the Premiere was a gift. They should document it in your Tivo account and tell you to call in to customer service who should give you no problems from there.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Considering the crappy scammy way TiVo is "selling" these things and promoting the cost, they deserve nothing less.

9. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Meh. I see nothing scammy in the offer of a low cost entry for the hardware in the market with the expectation of recouping the loss through limited higher cost service commitment.

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Had they managed to package and promote it well, I would see no problem with it. But so many people have been confused by it and the sudden monthly pricing changes that go with it, and the complete confusion and lack of actual official formal answers to what pricing may be available after the commitment period is paid off... it's just another extraordinarily poorly planned promotion by TiVo that may be well-intentioned, but is so badly executed it actively alienates potential subscribers as often as it meets the needs of some.

11. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Things have been going quite well for me so far this year. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.:)

I have no problem with a little deception where TiVo is concerned. It would serve them right for their sometimes disingenous business practices.

12. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Using someone else's receipt isn't just a 'little deception' it's outright fraud. If you're going to take that step, you might as well just start making up your own receipts.

While I don't like the pricing either, there's no "scam" on Tivo's part here. Those who purchased 6th ave Tivos before the new terms were announced had a legitimate gripe (and were taken care of), but at this point if people still don't know the new terms after they've been in effect for months now then they're not doing their due diligence in researching a new purchase. The thing has a 30 day return policy; the OP can just return it.

13. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I guess that I am lucky that I am sufficiently well off that I don't have to compromise my ethics to save a couple hundred bucks. I think anyone that would resort to duplicating receipts to save a few dollars is a collosal loser!!

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree. There is a 3 page thread around here debating whether a particular model will be $12.95 or $19.95 per month. That should NEVER take 3 pages of discussion. Many of the people here are "experts" and even they can't figure it out sometimes.

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007

100% agreed. The whole deal has been handled in a slipshod way, IMO.

16. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am not buying that there is anybody with TiVo experience that believed the TiVo Premiere could legitimately be purchased for $100 or less and not be subject to the expensive service requirement. I sure know I understood that clearly and didn't buy one. If you are saying there is some disagreement as to which discounted Premieres could be slipped through the cracks and get a deal TiVo never intended to offer, I don't doubt that. I have no idea how to get away with that but I could never claim I didn't understand the terms in the first place, that would be a lie.

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you were lucky and purchased a TP on 11/13 for $99 (as i did) you could get lifetime/or $99/year on that box, for some time after that TiVo would give in to some people that said their TP was a pre 11/13 unit. Now TiVo is most likely not going to give in to somebody who tells them that they purchased the TP some 4 1/2 months ago and did not bother to activate the unit. On my account i still have an offer to purchase a TP with Lifetime Service for $469.95 + tax if i wanted another one, others with older TiVos in their account must also still have that offer on their TiVo web sight.

18. TiredRetired

TiredRetired New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Today I was told (TIVO on-line chat) that if I buy ANY Tivo, new or used from Ebay (which TIVO considers to be a non authorized dealer) it would qualify for the $129 annual prepaid subscription which I'm the most interested in and would want.

If I buy one from Best Buy or Amazon, which are considered authorized dealers, the annual subscription will be $199 annual or 19.95 monthly only.

I new here and new to TIVO. Trying to wrap my mind around their pricing schemes. This one sounds bass ackwards to me, but what the hell do I know. I'm learnin'!!

19. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    That price can not be found anywhere within the TiVo Payment Plans. Either the TiVo CSR was very misinformed, or you misunderstood the CSR.

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    How is TiVo to know where you got your TiVo, a friend could purchase it from Best Buy (or Amazon) and than sell it to you, so your purchase would not be from a so called authorized dealer, TiVo made this TP pricing harder than buying a used car.