OTA won't stream - Streaming Device Not Found

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Welshdog, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

I have a Roamio OTA purchased in November during the big sale. My wife today discovered that it would not stream to her iPad Pro. I checked it over and it failed during setup complaining that the streaming device could not connect to the Tivo Service. I did a variety of trouble shooting steps and eventually disconnected our Bolt from the network to isolate the Roamio. Once I did that the error in the iOS app changed. Now when I attempt to setup streaming it says Streaming device Not Found. I have rebooted everything - Google Fiber Network Box, phones, Tivos. Deleted and reinstalled the app - no change. Tried different ethernet cable - no change. The Roamio is connected to the Internet and to the Tivo servers, it seems to be fine in every way except streaming out shows. When the Bolt is on the network iOS devices connect and stream from it just fine. All of these tests are being done on our in home network.

I know that Roamios have a shoddy history on streaming, but this seems a bit different. I used an app called Bonjour Browser to take a look at everything "advertising" IPs on the network. It found an instance of the Bolt 192.168.1.xxx:49152 which is the IP of the bolt with the port number for the streaming service. Bonjour Browser did not find a similar instance for the Roamio. So, either the Roamio is broken or the Google box is blocking it in some way. Of course the Google box is not blocking the Bolt, but I don't know if a Roamio based streaming server presents itself in some different manner to the router in the Google box. I tried setting up a port forward in the Google box for the Roamio of 49152 - no change.

And suggestions of further testing I can do?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Roamio OTA has no built in streaming hardware. So it's no surprise it doesn't work since it doesn't exist. Get a Tivo Stream or a Slingbox or just stream from your Bolt.

3. Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005
    Well that would explain it - thanks.