OTA without DirectTV Service

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by louisparks, Dec 12, 2006.

1. louisparks

louisparks New Member

Dec 2, 2002

Advertisements

I am leaving town for a couple months and would like to suspend my DTV account during that time. I realize I wont be getting a DTV signal, but does anyone know if my OTA seasons passes will continue to record?

I have an HR10-250.

Thanks,
    Louis

2. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I believe the answer is no. But I've never tried it. No account = no guide data.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    As soon as you suspend service, they'll turn off the DVR functions in the box along with service.

Maybe, if you disconnect it from the satellite inputs and the phone line before you suspend the service,
    it might record till the guide data runs out.

Big maybe.

But, I digress.
    If you have no satellite inputs, the OTA inputs cease to function as well.

phox

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can use the box as a tuner and can rewind the 30-minute buffer, but cannot record unless DirecTV authorizes "DVR" service. Guide data is not important here, to the best of my knowledge.

5. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL

Advertisements

I'm thinking Season Passes have a difficult time of things without guide data.

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What I meant was that the presence or absence of guide data doesn't affect whether or not you can record without DVR service on a DTiVo. As soon as the TiVo no longer sees the DVR auth signal from the satellite, recording is disabled.

7. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Fair enough. :)

8. louisparks

louisparks New Member

Dec 2, 2002
    I guess I could also subscribe to the minimal account + DVR service, to keep guide service going. Do you think I need to subscribe to the HD service if I want my season passes to record OTA HD?

I guess i'm im being cheap, but its an interesting question.

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, you don't have to subscribe to HD service to record OTA HD as long as you have some active DirecTV service with DVR.

10. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    BTW: You still get guide data and OTA even when suspended, you just don't get the sat channels (except the test ones) or DVR functions ie no season pass recording. You can do 30 sec buffer on two tuners.

11. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Even 30 minutes, in some cases. :p

12. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

Oh yeah, I forgot I was on Earth time again. Damn intergallactic travel.... ;)

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Right. That's what the primary part of "DVR Service" you pay for monthly is, is the ability to use the program data to trigger recordings. Whether they are OTA or not, HD or not, you need three things (besides the Tivo itself): "DVR service", some DTV service level, and guide data. The first two typically come bundled, along with at a minimum the sat channel EPG data.